Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cyril Dore'

Page 0 + 1 of 13

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 15 Jan 2011 23:57

About three or four months ago i began tracing my family origins and the prospect of building a family tree here at G R.

After navigating through uncharted territory I found a community message board with a ' Trying To Find ' option, and thought ..." great, this could be what I was looking for" to further my chances of being successful in what started as just a whim.

Little did I realise that I would get in touch with some of the most wonderful people one could wish to ' Meet ' with such an eagerness to help me in my quest.

Now, not being message board savvy, i was at the mercy of the, obviously , 'regular' contributors and surly advised on the protocol of 'postings', and i thank you all for that.

But me being me, I think i may have rubbed against the grain on the odd occasion and probably was a bit out of line. But I think that was mainly due to misunderstandings and such like as conversation is best being 'done ' Face to Face for the reactionary feedback so you know your not ' upsetting' anyone.

Now then, after the, what, three weeks or so of me being a postie on this here board, I can honestly say that I've enjoyed it immensely and wish to continue.

I think my trade mark is FUN and I think it should be as I believe ( in my case ) Genealogy is a hobby mainly and you should enjoy it as such and leave the oh so serious aspect of it to those whom make a living from it.

Now then, again, I didn't delete the thread intentionally, being a gormless person, in my infinite wisdom I thought I'd ' clip ' the thread down a bit to make it more navigable and POOPH!! the lot went up the swanny!!..............all your hard work.....gone!! What a plonker I am and I want to apologise for that. Sorry ( lowers head ) ....

BUT......the good news is what you've all been waiting for arrived this morn....yes.....yes..... it's Grace's birth cert ( am I forgiven ?)

Details as follows....

SALFORD

1882 sub district....Regent Road Salford.

County of Lancashire.

When and where Born..23/4/1882. 34 Gordon ( or Croydon )Street, Salford.

Name........Grace

Sex ..... Girl. ( thank god )

Father...........George Dean

Mother.......Sarah Elizabeth Dean,( then some words i can't read then...Formerly .......Hughes.

Occupation of Father......Hawker

Signature of Informant.........X ( doh!)

When registered .........18/5/1882.

I can scan it and send it to you for your analysis as there are a couple of bits i can't decipher

Sorry for the soap box bit

Love,

Robert xx

jax

jax Report 16 Jan 2011 00:03

Glad you did'nt delete on purpose Rob...
Now its all gorn is that who we thought her parents should be?

jax

jax

jax Report 16 Jan 2011 00:06

Flick

Robert had a 10 page plus thread which a lot of people helped him on

jax

Robert

Robert Report 16 Jan 2011 00:10

Sorry Flick i deleted the word B****R

Dear me.......

jax

jax Report 16 Jan 2011 00:18

Dont know if any of the others are are around Rob but if they dont see this I shall direct them this way

jax

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Jan 2011 00:26

Rob

Thank you for letting us know that you got the birth certificate

.... and for the apology for accidentally deleting the original thread

well done, you! (for the apology I mean!)

sylvia

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 16 Jan 2011 00:27

Thanks Jax, well directed, i found my way here :)

I know I hadn't posted on here but I've been following Roberts' thread with interest and amusement, I find his posts refreshing. :)

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 16 Jan 2011 00:32

Robert did you lose all the information or have you copied any of it?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 16 Jan 2011 00:43

I've still got enough of this in my own head too that I know this is exactly what we wanted to see on Grace's birth cert -- father George Dean and mother Sarah Elizabeth, as in the 1891 census I had found (pat pat):

Name: Grace Deane
Estimated birth year: abt 1883
Relation: Daughter
Father's name: George Deane
Mother's name: Sarah E Deane
Where born: Salford, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Salford

George Deane 37
Sarah E Deane 39
Mary E Deane 14
Maud Deane 12
Grace Deane 8
Florance Deane 6
Charles E Deane 8/12

The question was the John Seal in some census shown as Father-in-law ... here we are, 1901

George Dore 24
Grace Dore 20 (Grace Dean)
George Dore 4 Months
John Seal 88

-- because obviously he wasn't Grace's father, and there was no Grace with his household in any previous census.

Have I got it right so far then?

Sarah in 1891:

Name: Sarah E Deane
Estimated birth year: abt 1852
Relation: Wife
Spouse's name: George Deane
Where born: Salford, Lancashire, England

Births Mar 1851
HUGHES Sarah Elizabeth Salford 20 1008

I think.

Robert

Robert Report 16 Jan 2011 00:43

Thanks Jax :))

Ok here is a bit of back ground all.

My grandaddy Cyril Dore ( 1904-1964) born Salford
My gandmother Mary Gannon ( 1908-1931) born Prescott
Cyril remarries to Ethel Stafford (1911-1978 ) born Salford
Cyril s father George Reginald ( Ricotte ) Dore (1876-1947) born Alfretton,Derbyshire. Died Blackpool.

Cyril s mother Grace Dean ( 1882-1965)born Salford. died Salford.
They had other siblings..John, George, William Dore
Grace then shacked up with a Baxter fella and had more kids Joseph,Thomas and Graham Baxter Dore.

Grace's father was called George Deane (1854-?) born Salford. died ?
graces mother was called Sarah Elizabeth Dean Nee Hughes (1851-?) born Salford. died ?

George Dore's father was called Luke Doar ( 1837-1905 ) born Sandiachre, Derbyshire. Died Belper Derbyshire.

Georges Mother was called Sarah Poyzer ( 1846-1881 ) born worksworth, Derbyshire. Died Basford Derbyshire.

they had four other kids called John, Annie , Joseph and Mary Doar ( Dore )

Lukes father was called George Doar ( 1813-1893 ) born Sandiachre , Derbyshire.Died Basford, Derbyshire.

Luke mother was called Sarah Oldenshaw ( 1814-1865 ) born Sandiachre Derbyshire. died Same.

Phew!! anything else you need let me know

Rob xx

Robert

Robert Report 16 Jan 2011 00:47

what are you all doing up at this hour of the night??? TUT ! TUT!

I love you all xxx

Rob

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Jan 2011 00:49

hey Rob

it's late afternoon where I am

we're not all "stop-ups"

sylvia

Robert

Robert Report 16 Jan 2011 00:50

No Squirrel the lot died a death I'm afraid......puts head on chopping block!!

Sooorrrryyyy

Rob

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 16 Jan 2011 00:52

No need to apologise to me, I was just an observer :)

These things happen, I was just worried that you'd lost the lot.

Robert

Robert Report 16 Jan 2011 00:52

Hey Sylvialn......lots of my family were from Canada, Vancouver would you believe. Port Alberni.... woop woop!!

Robxx

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 16 Jan 2011 00:55

So if the Sarah Elizabeth Hughes birth 1851 Salford I added above is her, as I think it is, this is her family in 1851 in Salford:

William Hughes 36 - Butcher's Knife & Steel Maker
Mary Hughes 43
Mary Hughes 6
Ellen Hughes 4
Sarah E Hughes 2/12
Hannah Bailley 22 - stepdaughter (of William)

Name: Sarah E Hughes
Estimated birth year: abt 1851
Relation: Daughter
Father's name: William Hughes
Mother's name: Mary Hughes

The census page is badly damaged and birth birthplaces don't show.

It's 8 pm here in very cold and snowy (for a change, this year!) central Canada. ;)

Robert

Robert Report 16 Jan 2011 00:57

Janey your such a star, what a memory... :))

And a Canadian to boot WOW!!

We just got to find out what happened to Cyril between his birth and him marrying Mary. Tough i know...What do you reckon? Workhouse or something. Mum says he was put in a home when as kid of around 3....

Rob xx
Birth Cert scanned and waiting....

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Jan 2011 01:35

I did suggest, Robert, that you contact some of the many children's homes around Manchester then. Some have records of incumbents at Manchester Library. I have other contacts who had rellies in childrens homes around then, I can dig them up (oops, dig them out) for you, might take a while, cos very old contacts. I did also ask you if they were Roman Catholics, cos that narrows things down a bit.

Yes, Janey has the John Seal bit right, I might have written it down somewhere, but still can't find out how he is connected at all. It says Father in Law, but no evidence of that - but no evidence of any relationship at all.

Now this birth of Grace, do you think there is another "maiden name" for her mother? Indicating a previous marriage? That is usually the case when a birth cert says "formerly). And you do mean "formerly" not "formally" don't you? Would you be able to scan this cert and email to me? EDIT, "formerly Hughes" is her maiden name, if previously married it would say "late somebody" a well.

You see there is this marriage, a bit late I agree:

EDIT, likely not right. EDIT AGAIN - not right. Sarah Brotherton married Charles Smith.

Marriages Sep 1894 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Brotherton Sarah Eleanor Chorlton 8c 1104
Dawson Elizabeth Ann Chorlton 8c 1104
***Dean George Chorlton 8c 1104
SMITH Charles Chorlton 8c 1104

But I can't find a marriage of George Dean to Sarah E Hughes.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 16 Jan 2011 02:22

I think this is Sarah E Hughes/Dean's death:

Deaths Dec 1897
Dean Sarah Elizabeth 46 Salford 8d 102 (= dob 1851)

so while she and George Dean seem not to have been married, George might have married anybody after that.

I think George expected that his post would be seen by the people who had contributed to his deleted thread, as it turns out it has been -- Maryb had posted a thread earlier wondering where it had gone, and someone had had a PM from him explaining his mistake.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/trying_to_find/dore/thread/1255316

Christine2

Christine2 Report 16 Jan 2011 11:02

I found my way here - thank you Janey:)

Would you be kind enough to send me a scan of the birth cert please Robert? Am working on a theory - probably miles out but anythings worth a try :)