General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Measles

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Mar 2024 12:36

A very high rise in cases. I find it hard to believe that there are still conspiracy theories about having children vaccinated. when I was 14 I had a 'boyfriend' who had only one eye, he lost the other through measles. I was lucky as was my daughter I had measles with no ill effects as did she. Although I do wonder if there is any connection in me later being quite severely hard of hearing.

If there is a real medical reason for not having it that is OK. But looking at the number of young people unvaccinated when the opportunity is there is frightening IMO.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Mar 2024 12:46

Some people just don’t believe in immunisation, unfortunately.

The horrors of those mass immunisation sessions in the 50’s didn’t put me off getting my kids jabbed.

I think there are plans to do pop up immunisation sessions in the worst areas.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Mar 2024 13:25

Unfortunately, when we were all young, measles was considered a lesser problem and almost inevitable. People sometimes even encouraged their child to catch it to 'get it over with'
We now realise the severe complications which can result from the infection.

I remember having measles around the age of 5, the only childhood illness I had, although my younger sister, who shared a bedroom with me caught chicken pox and scarlet fever too :-S
My daughter caught measles at around 14 months, when we lived abroad and before being due her measles vaccine.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Mar 2024 14:33

My brother and I had measles at 4 & 6 years old. If I remember the MMR as we have today wasn't available in the early 60's?Unless my parents couldn't agree together(they were divorced)

I know that in more recent times, the MMR vaccine has created controversy as there was a study that "suggested", children who had the MMR were being diagnosed with Autism! So this finding scared a lot of parents into not giving the vaccine to their children and then cases sprang up all over.

I think I'm right in saying you could have the 3 vaccines done separately but only privately at a cost?

Eventually, it was suggested that a rise in children being diagnosed with Autism was not due to the MMR vaccine but that improved resources meant that teachers etc were better educated at spotting Autism in children.

So as that was some years ago, I'm not sure why now parents are not vaccinating their children. Measles can lead to blindness. It is a serious disease.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 Mar 2024 14:44

I had measles aged 5, with no after effects. My two sons both had it as babies, before the vaccine was readily available. The elder one caused problems because we were due to fly out to Ghana for 18 months and OH had to go ahead and we followed 3 weeks later. All our stuff had been packed and I had to borrow a cot from a friend!!

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 12 Mar 2024 14:47

My parents had us have all the vaccines that were on offer at that time.

When my children were born, 1977 and 1980, they had all the vaccines on offer. At that time the measles was a single vaccine at age 1, they both had that. There was nothing for mumps and rubella, and they both caught these at school. D was about 8 when the MMR appeared. My surgery asked for her to have it, but I refused, as she had had the single measles vax at age 1, and had suffered from mumps and rubella.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 12 Mar 2024 15:14

The MMR/autism link has been completely debunked, but unfortunately some people still believe in 'misinformation'. Measles can be very nasty, I had it as a child but don't remember it being too bad - my big sister, however, was very poorly and remembered hallucinating as her temperature got so high.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Mar 2024 15:16

Ah grannyfanny, you answered my query ty. That explains why I have never been vaccinated against mumps. I received the Rubella when I was around 14 in the mid 70's. My youngest brother caught mumps when he was 3( I was 13) but I never caught it from him.

I'm guessing you cant catch measles twice? As although I had it I have not had the vaccine.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 12 Mar 2024 15:22

Florence you can catch Measles twice as I did. I had it when I was about 5 and then again when I was about 27. I was really bad with it both times . I also had chicken pox really badly twice once as a child and then again in my adult years.
I like to be different ;-) :-D :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Mar 2024 16:03

Oh my LaGooner I didn't know that. Hmm I may just have to ring my GP and ask about getting vaccinated then. Crikey what a thought. Both flu & Covid jags made me really ill so refused to have any more.

I wonder if its necessary at my age?

I shall investigate ty

Florence in the hebrides

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Mar 2024 16:09

Single vaccines for measles are only available privately and it says are unlicensed. I cant have the MMR as I already had the vaccine for Rubella and was shown to be immune when I was pregnant as they tested me. So that answers my own question.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 12 Mar 2024 16:27

I had the vaccine Florence and still got it :-D :-D :-D

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 12 Mar 2024 16:30

I think every parent has the right to be cautious around any drug/vaccine that is given to their children.

History shows that there have been occasions where one size does not fit all…you only have to look back to the 60’s and Thalidomide.

The swine flu jab was very quickly halted because of the growing amount of Guillain-Barré syndrome found amongst it recipients.

Then let us not forget the vaccine damaged adults and children from the recent mass vaccinations in this country and around the world.

In days gone by we trusted the advice of our Doctors….did not really question it….now we have the tools to make more informed choices….would I have taken another path with my kids?

I am still not sure

:-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Mar 2024 17:29

Grannyfanny brought things back. Daughter was born in 1985 and it must have been the preschool round of jabs when they offered the MMR. The doctor actually phoned me to offer it but I asked for the separate jabs as she had already had mumps. You could still opt for one or the other at that time.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 12 Mar 2024 17:41

They would not give our children the Whooping Cough vaccinaton as my husband almost died from a severe reaction when he had it so they just had the others.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 13 Mar 2024 06:39

Dear All

Hello

I would not give a toss for what professionals say.

Any advice I am given, I do my own research and then some more.

Far too many "professionals" have been proven wrong but this often takes years to discover; just look at the ongoing public enquiries into Covid-19, Grenfell, Windrush and many more.

There are many more scandals that need to be bought out into the public arena.

Its your life, body and time.

I must be in a cranky mood this morning. Sorry folks.

Take gentle care
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 13 Mar 2024 17:30

My grandmother had measles as a child which left her blind in one eye and with a heart defect.
Back to the present - my son had cancer several years ago necessitating a stem cell transplant after several weeks in hospital having very strong chemotherapy. He was warned that this had wiped out all his immunity and the one thing he could not be vaccinated against was measles as that is a live virus. Apparently this would be extremely dangerous for him so the present upsurge is very worrying to us all.
I do wish these people who don't have their children vaccinated would just think of others whom they could be putting in sometimes life threatening danger. :-(

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Mar 2024 18:58

Cornish Susie, ty for mentioning your sons cancer as my daughter had cancer age 5/6 and after she finished her treatment and came hone, she had to have all her childhood vaccines again.

I do remember her getting her DTP but she will need to check with GP re the MMR as we cant actually remember.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Mar 2024 19:26

Here we are being told that if we were born before 1970, we almost certainly had measles and have immunity, which it seems is life-time.

Children born from 1970 to about 1980 or mid-1980s got 1 vaccination with the measles vaccine. They should probably go and have another booster shot if they have not already had it. I checked with my daughter who is in that age group, and she said both she and her husband were offered a booster shot around 2010, and both had it done then.

Finally, children born since then have had, or should have had, 2 vaccinations.

Canada was declared basically measles free about 2010.

Problem here that we have had in the past is that we have various religions who do not believe in vaccinations, will not have it done, and several run their own schools so there is no checking. These groups are connected with the parent religious groups in Europe and we have had major outbreaks over the years caused by visitors of those religions bringing it into Canada. Fortunately though those outbreaks have been large, they have been mainly confined to the members of the religion in the area, very few people outside the religion have been infected.

Now we have the added problem of Covid, which halted vaccination programmes; the lack of belief in vaccinations as a result of Covid and the fake connection of MMR and autism; and people who have literally no idea of how bad measles can be.

I see it as like polio or smallpox ...... heaven forbid that children and babies are faced with the same horrid sicknesses that were common when we were children!

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 13 Mar 2024 22:01

When I was at our local hospital on Monday for an appointment I noticed a huge red sign outside A&E instructing people attending with a child who had a rash and hadn't had 2 MMR jabs not to enter, but instead to use the yellow phone to speak to staff! The Covid phone has a new job!