Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Eliza Speer

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 31 Oct 2012 18:14

I have the birth certificate of my g grandfather, Thomas Speer, born 19 Mar 1864 in Irvinestown, Ireland. From the certificate I know that his parents are Thomas Speer and Jane Breen, but the registrant was given as Eliza Speer, sister. I know that Thomas (the father) was married three times and that his father was Robert Speer, but I can't find any info on Thomas' siblings or when he was born. Jane was born abt 1830 so I'm guessing he was about the same time. Can anyone point me in the right direction to possibly find Eliza and any other siblings please.

Thanks
Yvonne

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 31 Oct 2012 18:28

Not sure this helps much, but might be a sibling??

name: Isabella Catherine Spear
baptism/christening date:
baptism/christening place:
birth date: 01 Sep 1868
birthplace: Fermanagh, Ireland
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: Thomas Spear
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Jane Brien
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C01186-6
system origin: Ireland-EASy
source film number: 101171
reference number: v 12-1 p 157
Citing this Record

Jan

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 31 Oct 2012 18:39

Yes, this is a sibling of Thomas born in 1864 but it's Thomas' father's (also Thomas) siblings I'm looking for. Thanks.

Yvonne

Gee

Gee Report 31 Oct 2012 18:53

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958
about Thomas Speer
Name: Thomas Speer
Date of Registration: 1856
Registration district: Lowtherstown
Volume: 7
Page: 498 (click to see others on page)
FHL Film Number: 101246

Spouse - Jane Breen

If you buy the cert, you will have more details

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 31 Oct 2012 19:15

A year or so ago I paid an Irish researcher to find the birth of my g grandfather, Thomas Speer, and that's how I have the birth certificate for his birth in 1864. Other info the researcher gave me was that Thomas' father was married to Jane Breen on 2 Jul 1856 and that Thomas (the father) was a widower at that time and that his father was Robert Speer. He also gave me info that after Jane died Thomas married Isabella Virtue. Further research gave Thomas' first wife as Mary ? and there was a baptism for a child in 1848 but the name was illegible.

It all gets very confusing.
Yvonne

Gee

Gee Report 31 Oct 2012 19:18

Did the person who you paid........give you certificates?

Thats what you need

Gee

Gee Report 31 Oct 2012 19:23

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958
about Isabella Virtue
Name: Isabella Virtue
Date of Registration: 1876
Registration district: Irvinestown
Volume: 2
Page: 203 (click to see others on page)
FHL Film Number: 101252

Thomas Speir 1876 Irvinestown
Isabella Virtue 1876 Irvinestown

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 31 Oct 2012 19:33

No, he just gave me the info above. I sent for the birth certificate of Thomas (b. 1864) and will send for the marriage cert. of Thomas and Jane but the only other info I'll get from it will be the witnesses and I'm not sure that will really help but we'll give it a try.

The info on Isabella Virtue is also correct, thanks. The name changed several times over the years which makes things even more confusing.

Thanks
Yvonne

Gee

Gee Report 31 Oct 2012 19:48

Hi Yvonne

I have only gone on the info that you (and your researcher) have given

I cant be sure any of it is 'true' and I guess, neither can you

Do you want to start with the 'facts' that you have?

x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 31 Oct 2012 20:03

Hello Yvonne - just as a safety check, does the occupation of Thomas' father on his birth certificate correspond with that on his marriage certificate?

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 31 Oct 2012 20:22

I have the birth certificate for Thomas born 1864 and know for sure that this is my g grandfather. It gives his father as Thomas and mother as Jane Breen. Thomas (1864) died in Liverpool in 1938.

Notes from researcher: Thomas Speer, farmer, of Croneen and Jane Breen of Drumbrick were married in Coolaghty Church of Ireland, parish of Drumkeeran on 2 July 1856; both full-age and widower and spinster respectively; fathers Robert Speer and William Breen, farmers; witnesses not listed.

Thomas Speer, farmer, and Isabella Virtue, both of Croneen, were married in Coolaghty Church of Ireland on 17 January 1876; both full-age and both widowed; fathers Robert Speer and William Marshall, farmers; witnesses Robert Speer and Robert Irvine.

The researcher later came back with the following info from the Colaghty CI baptism registers:
John James born 8 May and baptised 14 Jun 1857
Thomas born 25 May and baptised 10 Jun 1860
(you already have the details of a later Thomas and Isabella Catherine) We also noted several other interesting entries from the registers:
Baptism - (child's name illegible) - born 25 Jan and baptised 25 Feb 1848; parents Thomas and Mary Speer, Croneen, farmer
Confirmation - 16 Jun 1856 Thomas Speer; John Speer (x 2).
As you will recall, Thomas was a widower when he married Jane Breen in 1856 and so it appears likely that he had previously been married to a woman named Mary.
I found the following on an Irish site yesterday:
14 Jun 1857 John James Thomas Speer Jane
10 Jun 1860 Thomas Thomas Speer Jane
1 May 1864 Thomas Thomas Speer Jane
1 Nov 1868 Isabella Catherine Thomas Speer Jane
... so it looks as if Thomas (b 1860) died.

The notes from the researcher are actual extracts from the registers.

Thanks
Yvonne

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 31 Oct 2012 20:27

Hi Marie Celeste

The occupation given for Thomas (father) on Thomas (1864) birth cert. is farmer - that is the only certificate I have. In my reply above you will see that the extract from the church register gives his occupation as farmer.

Yvonne

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 12 Sep 2016 23:43

I'm adding this query to my previous post back in 2012, for information.

I'm trying to find the death of Thomas Speer, father of Thomas Speer b. 1864. I'm guessing that he was born around 1820. As you can see from the above, he was married three times, his last marriage being in 1876, so his death would be after that. Can anyone suggest how I can find his death.
Thanks.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 12 Sep 2016 23:48

I'm adding this query to my previous post back in 2012, for information.

I'm trying to find the death of Thomas Speer, father of Thomas Speer b. 1864. I'm guessing that he was born around 1820. As you can see from the above, he was married three times, his last marriage being in 1876, so his death would be after that. Can anyone suggest how I can find his death.
Thanks.

safc

safc Report 12 Sep 2016 23:48

????

Speer Thomas 1825 1903 1903 Irish Deaths 1864 - 1958 Irvinestown, Fermanagh, Ireland

Speer Thomas 1815 1904 1904 Irish Deaths 1864 - 1958 Irvinestown, Fermanagh, Ireland

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 12 Sep 2016 23:50

Thanks safc ... where can I get a death certificate from and would it help me find his parents?

safc

safc Report 13 Sep 2016 00:05

dont know

you could give this a ring

they might be able to help you

https://www.fermanaghomagh.com/residential-services/registrations/

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 13 Sep 2016 00:22

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 13 Sep 2016 08:40

This might the 1815- 1904 man (details seem to fit the information of your Thomas that you gave previously):

Residents of a house 7 in Croneen (Lack, Fermanagh)
Spear Thomas 86 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland Co Fermanagh Farmer Widower
Spear John 43 Male Son Church of Ireland Co Fermanagh Farmer's Son Married
Spear Anne Jane 44 Female Daughter in Law Church of Ireland Co Fermanagh Married
------------------------------------

And possibly his wife's death:

First name(s) Isabella
Last name Spier
Age at death 74
Birth year 1823
Registered year 1897
Registered quarter/year Jul - Sep 1897
Registration district Irvinestown
Volume 2
Page 83
County Fermanagh, Tyrone
Country Ireland
---------------------------------------

same family 1911
Residents of a house 1 in Croneen (Lack, Fermanagh)

Speer John 54 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland Co Fermanagh Farmer Married
Speer Anne Jane 55 Female Wife Church of Ireland Co Fermanagh Married
Virtue Robert 19 Male Nephew Church of Ireland Co Fermanagh Agricultural Labourer Single

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 13 Sep 2016 08:54

I presume this is the other Thomas? (1825- 1903)

Probate:

SPEER Thomas 21st August Probate of the Will of Thomas Speer late of Cronien-bun County Fermanagh Farmer who died 15th November 1903 granted at Dublin to William Speer farmer Effects £69

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014914/005014914_00533.pdf