Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which Church - Easington, County Durham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bacardi

Bacardi Report 21 Nov 2004 21:37

My ancestors were originally from Easington/Wingate in County Durham, and most lived and died there. As Catholics, do you know which church would be most likely, that they would have attended? Unfortunately, my granddad left and I dont know the area at all. Any advice/ideas would be welcome. TIA Bev X

Bacardi

Bacardi Report 21 Nov 2004 22:04

Johnathon Many thanks, I can only see a church listed for Easington, nothing for Wingate, so now i'll have to work out how I'm going to get there to gather the info:-) christmas pressie perhaps:-) Thanks again Bev X

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 22 Nov 2004 00:30

Bev, Just a thought, don't assume your rellie's were Catholic's then, mine became Catholic's in the early 1900. When I have gone up there, over the last few years to research, the only Catholic churches you see are fairly recent, well, within a 150 years! Could be the changed religion. Have you tried www(.)durham(.)gov(.)uk/gro/newgro(.)nsf/search? They have BM's on there but death's are not until 1980, worth a try though. Kim

Bacardi

Bacardi Report 22 Nov 2004 12:39

Kim You are right, I am only assuming that they were Catholic. When my granddad died, there was a big who-har about how he should be buried, because although he had not kept up his faith after leaving home (and the area), he had been brought up as a Catholic and after his death, we found his rosary beads and bible which he'd kept all those years. They certainly dont make it easy for us do they??? Bev :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Nov 2004 13:32

These are the catholic churchs in Easington listed on the Durham County Council website:- Easington Colliery Our Lady Roman Catholic Church Easington Colliery St. Mary Roman Catholic Church Easington Village Our Lady of Victories and St. Thomas Roman Catholic Church None are listed for Wingate, but it is a small place so may not have one. Kath. x p.s. I don't know how old these churchs are.

Carol

Carol Report 1 Aug 2020 16:01

If They lived in Wingate, I think they would have gone to Hutton Henry St Peter & Paul Catholic Church.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Aug 2020 16:27

Carol -
you've replied to a very old thread (2004).

Unfortunately Bacardi (aka Bev) is no longer a GR member, so she won't be looking for replies here now, and it's impossible to contact her .