Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 28 Apr 2022 11:21

I would just like to confirm.

If somebody joined the army on 15th September 1939 seeing that the register is from 29th September is it likely that they would not appear in the register?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Apr 2022 11:26

As long as he had actually left home then yes.

In my own family females in barracks were included in the 1939.

John

John Report 28 Apr 2022 11:31

I have not found him when searching at Ancestry.

John

John Report 28 Apr 2022 12:03

Can somebody try and find him at FMP please?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Apr 2022 12:07

If you tell us his name and DOB, someone will have a look.

Have you found his parents/siblings (if any)?
Where did his family live?

John

John Report 28 Apr 2022 12:23

Stanley Frank Harrison born October 1918 in Camberwell

I have found his parents living in Kingston, Surrey with 1 closed record I did not think this was him as he died in 1995 so assumed his record would be open. He has siblings that could well be the closed record.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Apr 2022 12:27

(On Ancestry)
Maybe ??? What was his full DOB? DOB's are often slightly "out" on the 1939 Register.

Stanley Harrison
in the 1939 England and Wales Register
Name: Stanley Harrison
Marital Status: Single
Birth Date: 22 Sep 1918
Residence Date: 1939
Address: 1 Armament Training Camp, Cotford Hull
Residence Place: Holderness, Yorkshire (East Riding), England
Line Number: 2
Schedule Number: 1
Sub Schedule Number: 2
OVSPI: Servant
Enumeration District: Jciw
Borough: Holderness
Registration district: 520/3
Household Members Age
Thomas Gould 28
Stanley Harrison 21
Robert Rafton 61
Sydney J Halford 28
Thomas Harrison 19
George L Wadsworth 22
David L Stephenson 37
Harold Ashton 25
George W R Wardley 25
Joseph R Pocklington 20

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Apr 2022 12:43

Regardless of when he died, his record should be open on the Register, because he was born more than 100 years ago. (Unless he was in the forces and not on the Register in the first place, of course.)

"You will see some records covered by a black line in the 1939 Register. These are the records of individuals who were born less than 100 years ago and whose death has not been registered. This is to protect their privacy if they are still alive. The Genealogist, Findmypast and Ancestry regularly update their 1939 Register collections to include more individuals as they become eligible."
https://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/tutorials/10-things-you-should-know-about-the-1939-register/

John

John Report 28 Apr 2022 12:44

27th October 1918 is his DoB

I don't think that is him.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Apr 2022 13:12

If, as originally stated, he had enlisted before the Register was compiled, he will not be recorded in 1939.................,

GOOGLE has the answer...........!!!!!!

Registration of members of the armed forces was dealt with by the military authorities, so the 1939 Register does not include service personnel in military, naval and air force establishments.

John

John Report 28 Apr 2022 13:28

He joined on 15th September and the register was on 29th. Was it common practice to leave home so quickly after joining?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Apr 2022 13:57

There was a war in progress………….

My brother-in-law enlisted mid-September and was not with his family on 1939 Register

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Apr 2022 13:59

If my mother is anything to go by then yes he could already have left home. I always knew Mum had signed up right at the beginning of the war and there she is in the female army barracks in the 1939.

BrianW

BrianW Report 14 Jun 2022 20:23

In a senior moment I've forgotten where I can access the 1939 Register.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Jun 2022 20:50

:-D

Ancestry & Find my Past

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jun 2022 10:07

We had already been evacuated to Kent when the 1939 register was taken

My elder sister was with me at the same home and she is an open record as she passed 2002

Our brother born 1934 was two doors away but is still a closed record as he lived and passed in Spain in his retirement so his death won’t be picked up