Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genealogy Chat is redundant.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kense

Kense Report 21 Oct 2015 11:08

Isn't it about time to close the Genealogy Chat board? Apart from the stickied thread there is only one thread on page 1 that is of a general genealogy nature.

All of the others are really about specific families and should be on the Find Ancestors board to make it easy for the helpers and to avoid duplication.

Furthermore most recent posts that one might expect to find on Genealogy Chat tend to be put on General Chat and sometimes on both.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 21 Oct 2015 13:25

Sadly the whole Communitysite on here is dying. I can remember when, on a Saturday evening you could be on here all night, chatting, researching and exchanging tips etc.

I think people are requiring help less, you can find a lot out now via so many more websites. And I know a lot of the members here also use Rootschat, which is feee to join, has a lot more structured pages dedicated to far more subjects than here. And there are chat facilities too, even live chat!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 Oct 2015 18:50

At least the Genealogy Chat board is used unlike this board where your suggestion is the first one made in a week and you know that no action is going to be made on any suggestion.

I suggest that the WDYTYA Live Request board should be removed. Also the Announcements board where no announcement has been made in 2 months.

Actually I think this whole site has outlived its usefulness. Perhaps it's time for GR to close up shop.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Oct 2015 19:36

"they" have been discussing the "future direction that GR should take" since before May .......... which is when two staff members told me in separate messages (one on-site, so I am not breaking confidentiality) that this was what was happening, and the reason why nothing was being done to the site. "They" said then that decisions were expected "soon.

Now, I hear from someone else off site that Nikki has left GR and BrightSolid and is working elsewhere.

So, one less staff member working on GR

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 9 Nov 2015 23:10

Will the last person to leave the building, please turn out the lights............

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Nov 2015 01:07

it's getting to that point, isn't it??

They're probably trying to work out how they can get rid of GR, roll it over into FMP or whatever, without incurring the wrath of the Competitions Board which gave permission for BS to buy GR only if it was maintained as a separate entity!

Kense

Kense Report 10 Nov 2015 18:33

Sylvia, according to the report of the Competition Commission as quoted by Errol on the thread linked below, there was no reason to oppose the merger of FMP and GR. Do you have a reference to the statement that GR must be :kept as a separate entity?
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1330737

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Nov 2015 20:08

I understood that when the Competitions Board agreed to the buying of GR by N+BS that the site should be maintained as separate, the concern being that BS were now in control of 3 of the 4 major family history sites in the UK ............... the fourth being, of course, ancestry.

I did find the ruling on the web back then, but don't have the link now.

brigid

brigid Report 20 Feb 2016 20:13

this is the first time I've visited the suggestion site

I only ever used find ancestors site + finding relatives

posts which start as a general query on geaneology chat
ends up being about a specific family