Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions: TREE

Page 0 + 1 of 22

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Genes

Genes Advisor Report 24 Aug 2012 10:23

Please add your suggestions here for the tree.
What would you like to be able to do in the tree?
What do you think we could do differently that would make it better?

Please note: duplicate posts, general questions and anything that isn't a suggestion will be removed.

If you are having trouble using the tree please contact our customer support team who will be very happy to help you: [email protected].

The Genes Team.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 24 Aug 2012 10:31

I would like to return immediately to the option of the old tree as I have tried and failed with the new layout.

I loved the old tree. I would like to be able to put a marriage of first cousins on tree without making a note that one perosn appears twice on my tree. And I would like a simple way of looking at a small section of my tree and perhaps printing off a hard copy.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Aug 2012 12:21

I don't like the wait between adding names ~ the lines that appear. I think they're not necessary.

I find the new tree very slow moving.

I also dislike having to keep changing the Compatability - ON for using my tree, OFF for adding emoticons to board messages .... or is it the other way round? Whatever, it's very annoying!!

Angela

Angela Report 24 Aug 2012 12:27

I don't like the fact that there are 2 boxes when you add someone to the tree. I preferred the old tree where you could scroll up and down to enter details rather then a slide out box, there isn't always enough room for all the information I'd like to add.
I would also like it if something could be done about siblings who marry other siblings, at the moment I can only show this by having a duplicate entry for one part of the married couple.
Other than that, the screen is still too bright to work with for longer than 10 minutes.

Francesca

Francesca Report 24 Aug 2012 13:15

My ideal tree format would feature:-
An option button on the Home Page to remove the commercial adverts for those who find them annoying or distracting;
A format that is compatible with most browsers and doesn't require users to change their normal settings;
An individual's records to be displayed on one page only (i.e. no sliding panels) along with space for one default photograph;
The ability to enter an individual's data and notes in different boxes (on their single page) and save it all in one go with just one click of the 'save' button;
The ability to save relatives' names using any combination of Capital Letters, lower case letters, spaces and punctuation marks;
A visual appearance that has been thoroughly risk assessed, by competent risk assessors, that poses minimal risk of eyestrain, headaches, migraines etc and has regard to the needs of the elderly and those with visual disabilities;
An individual's gender to be indicated by means other than pictorial stereotypes (e.g. colour);
A format that requires fewer mouse movements and clicks to operate rather than more;
A tree that is free of major bugs prior to roll-out;
A tree that is guaranteed not to lose or change any data that is saved in it by tree-owners unless such data breaches Terms and Conditions;
In short a tree, not too dissimilar to our 'Old' tree, that might genuinely produce membership feedback that is in the main..."really positive" rather than the overwhelmingly hostile reception that your latest effort has received on your Boards and Tree Updates Blog. I've never seen so much hate-mail before !
I suggest that, before roll-out, any new changes are thoroughly tested by a group of users with a broad range of experience (from the new starter to the expert) in terms both of family history research and technical abilities with computers.
I also suggest that small changes be introduced incrementally rather than using the big bang method and that members are given at least a months notice on the Home Page before any major changes are introduced.
Please excuse my inexperience if I've got any computer terminology wrong.
If these suggestions prove popular with other members too and you manage to achieve any of this please let me know (you've got our e-mail address).
Sadly I won't be here any more because I don't enjoy the horrible things your New tree does to my family. But I would come back one day if you manage to get the tree format right.

Sue

Sue Report 24 Aug 2012 13:19

May i suggest you have a look at the Poll for the old tree on the general chat.
There you will see 300 odd opinions.
Personally, i have had and am having alot of problems with the new tree.
After changing browser to google chrome, when you come in and out of tree, every time you have to re connect. It is very frustrating, and slow, and i will n ot be renewing next time. I have had ENOUGH.

Sue

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 24 Aug 2012 14:00

I would like to be able to view my photo's in a larger panel? The thumbnail photo's are far too small

Could GR add a hyperlink to an enlarged or full size photo

Roy

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 Aug 2012 14:29

I agree with a lot of the above, but my particular dislike is the sliding panel. Please bring back the old lay-out where all information about a person was on one page.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 24 Aug 2012 15:18

Could GR make it a priority for the tree to work in all modern browsers without having to switch between normal and compatibility view

I think this is the main issue causing the most problems for members at the moment

Most members don't even no what compatibility view is let alone how to switch compatibility on or off

Roy

Catherine

Catherine Report 24 Aug 2012 15:45

I would like the box for each person on the tree to indicate GENDER by COLOUR (e.g. a BLUE box for Boys and a PINK box for Girls) so losing those cute little heads - there would be more room in the box then to indicate if a photo is available and even have the whole name on one line.
Thank you.

Catherine

Catherine Report 24 Aug 2012 15:54

I would like for when I select a person on my tree that I can see his (her) info in ONE go - i.e. not having to slide open a panel on the right side of the screen and then scroll UP and/or DOWN.
I know the info changes if you click and select different persons but nonetheless you still have to scroll up or down.
I say (and ask) this because my memory is not what it used to be and so with all the to-ing and fro-ing...
Thank you.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 24 Aug 2012 17:47

Whilst I am generally happy with the new tree, I would like to be able to delete the many trees I have access to - mostly from people whom I have helped.

I can delete the names from my Contacts list but the tree remains.

Thanks.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 24 Aug 2012 18:10

Would like to be able to click on any photo or image/document I have downloaded so there is a enlarged readable image. To also be available for those whose trees are shared with me & visa versa.

Would like to be able to copy any photo or image/document from trees I share or they with me.

Would like to be able to add all the info about a person in one go and save.

Would like more optional fields for burials, wills probate, travel, immgation, emigration

Would like to be able to copy members from my own tree - facility available with the old tree. Good for when there are mistakes in ones tree which have to be corrected.

Cousins marrying cousins. Siblings marrying siblings. Sibling marrying the same partner after one dies.Siblings marrying step siblings :-)

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 24 Aug 2012 18:55

I agree with Andysmum & Catherine-With the old tree I could look at the record of say my great-grandmother (1858-1939) and see all her life details and a photo of her in her fifties-a complete picture of a real human being all on the same screen. The new tree presents me with a strange avatar of female with some wierd 1970s hairstyle that is supposed to represent her and I can only see her properly if I then open up the side box and click on her photo. Is there no way to get rid of them, how can they represent a real person? I would much rather there were no avatars at all when I open the tree.

Roger

Roger Report 24 Aug 2012 23:06

Well on the old tree we could scroll down a com[plete list of all other trees we had permission to see - not any more, there are on 5 pages for me, but I cannot see the bottom of the list without zooming to 75%, well I have poor eyesight and like to see everything 100% like I could on old tree.

So come on think of you customers not yourselfs for a change.

So let us have the option for using old or new tree again.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Aug 2012 09:58

A return to the old tree.

With the old tree, one could select a family member and have all of his/her relevant data, plus photo - if attached - immediately accessible on one page.

With the awful new format, this cannot be achieved.

You supposedly canvassed opinions about the new tree before imposing it on us. If you read the feedback, you certainly took absolutely no notice of it.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Aug 2012 16:20

Suggest that people stop banging on about the old tree view which is not going to come back and focus on the tree view that is currently in place and what can be done to improve it.

Given that at least some people on this site will have encountered UKGov in one of its many hydra headed on line incarnations it is a bit rich to accuse Gru of being difficult to use.

:-D

Colin

Colin Report 25 Aug 2012 16:33

Biggest and perhaps the hardest task is to restore customer faith in your ability to safely hold data on their behalf.

While I hate the overall look of the revamp my biggest bugbear is the total waste of screen space caused by the change of displaying data in a verticle format rather than the previous horizontal format. You end up scrolling down to display data while looking at vast areas of blank screen.

With large families the data display needlessly covers family members.

Plus why is now so slow to load data.

KIMM

KIMM Report 25 Aug 2012 17:13

Something needs to be done, fixed or whatever.
I liked the old tree, i used to sign in every day, now i don't, the new tree doesn't work for me it doesn't store the data i attach to it or do much else for that matter.
I can read the boards without signing in, I would only be paying subs to post on the boards which i don't very often.It was more easier to show my kids the tree with photos and info directly showing now you can't keep anyones attention with the sliders and time it takes to show up info etc.
So I am using another site, one I can update my family tree on my pc with for nothing and plenty more for free that isn't here.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 25 Aug 2012 17:22

Colin, pages should not take more than 2/3 seconds to load,

Their are several reasons this can happen but more often than not it relates to your cache, this is the part of your browser that remembers previous pages you have used and is supposed to speed up the time it takes to open a page that you have viewed before but if that page has altered in any way your cache may not recognize the page and so their would be a conflict between what your browser was expecting to open and the page your actually trying to open

some PC maintenance should resolve the problem

clearing your cache, delete temp Internet files, history and cookies,

may help but you can also go on to run disc clean up and defrag but try clearing your cache first,

How to clearing your cache would depend on what browser your using,

If you want further help PM me as this thread is not for help and i will delete my post later

also see my post on this thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1308300

Roy