Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Docking Family from Segford Norfolk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RobbieC

RobbieC Report 2 Dec 2013 16:15

This year 2013 I took a holiday in Tasmania staying with Family I found on this site the Docking family went to Tasmania some 150 years ago as Free Settlers and did good. So their descendants met up this year after 150 years of not knowing about each other finally met. It was a long flight but well worth it, Dean and his family were so friendly and he showed me a lot of the Island from his home in Hobart we visited many places. Excellent three weeks Thanks G R for reuniting a long lost family together :-) The Flight was a 24 hour Marathon but in a very nice A380 Air Bus, Left Heathrow at 2235 and so began the journey of a life time. Dubai was a six hour flight not so bad but then an eighteen hour slog to Melbourne and on to Hobart and was I glad to get there. My Cousin Dean met me at the airport in a downpour! at last I was in his house and could relax, I had intended to have a few hours to catch up on sleep but didn't, we had so much to talk about. That night his brother cane with his wife and we went out to a restaurant in Hobart , a lovely time ,the only down was that the Aussies don't know what real ale is !! Following day I woke at 1530 ,needed kip time. on the Thursday Dean took me to see the local area we drove along the coast for about 50 klms to see a boats place (I'm a sailing man) and on way back he said we can go up the mountain! A road goes all the way to the top of Mt Wellington, I had visions of climbing !!
The next few days we went to various places in the eastern part of Tassie all very interesting. The next week we went to have a days fishing with Dean's brother Paul and his wife Christine at Primrose Sands on his fast boat, we caught 40 flatheads and they made good eating bit like haddock, Dean left me there so I could spend time with Paul and Christine, Christine took me to see Port Aurthur where the first Penal Colony was set up, it's a sad place showing mans inhumanity to man.
A visit to her friends and a few glasses of bubbly went well.

Back to Hobart and Dean took me round other places he was intent on showing me as much as possible during my stay he and his family could not have been more friendly and accepted me as family straight away making me feel quite at home. He and his wife Tanya organized a Bar B Que on the second Saturday with all his family who live near by four of whom came with their children, three live at home are single Two others are in other countries, very nice people they are. eventually my three weeks were over and my next leg was about to start, Dean dropped me at the Airport and i was on my way to N S W to see two friends there. This was an interesting week in the Blue Mountains and the Bush Fires we raging, it is scary believe me it's like all the woods in one county all on fire at same time, the smell and smoke is every where. We did get to see some of the interesting places, The three sisters a rock outcrop of three standing together and see the Blue of the gum trees fill the air it is a beautiful place to visit. all of the Blue mountains.

A day in Sydney to have a boat trip round the harbour was a very interesting day, to see the famous Harbour Bridge and the Opera House was something. To climb up those steps and see it is a magic place to be. Never thought I'd go there let alone go inside it. Quite awe inspiring. Yes that was some four weeks I'll not forget and hope to go again but not on my own must take a girl friend this next time. I so missed the one I'd been with for so long who split me this year.

Hope you like my account cheers
Robbie
:-) :-) :-)