Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted brother

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 26 Jun 2017 23:56

I am trying to find my brother who was adopted, his name at birth was lee Edward Doherty and he was born in 1969 to Maureen Gee, I have tried to find him over the years but have had no luck, I believe that he was possibly brought up in grove park but cannot be certain, please help!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Jun 2017 07:07

Unless you know his new name then people won't be able to help I,m afraid

You could add your name to the National Adoption contact register

www.gro.gov.uk

Also look in members trees to see if anyone has him listed .

Petef

Petef Report 27 Jun 2017 09:10

Hi, have you tried this?...............

As you are blood related, you can approach the Adoption Dept of the Local Authority where he was born for some help with your search......have a look at his birth certificate. for the local authority. If they did not deal with the adoption procedure, they will know who did. The adoption agency are not permitted by law to give you his present name nor tell you of his whereabouts if they know of it. You are entitled to write him a letter and have it placed on his Adoption File which will be given to him if he makes himself known to the Adoption Agency. Good luck with your search, Peter

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jun 2017 10:39

Here's the link for the adoption contact register
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

Read the rest of the page - it will tell you how to make contact with an adopted person through an approved intermediary agency. They are permitted to access your brother's file although they aren't allowed to give you his new name. If they can trace him, they will approach him to ask if he wants contact with you. It will cost you ££

Although its a bit of a long shot, you could add a note/post'em to his birth entry on https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl . Say something like birth family would welcome contact and leave a generic email address to avoid cluttering your 'normal' email account with unwanted spam. On the offchance that he or a current relative looks for his original birth reg, they will see your message and be able to contact you.

Besides yourself, Lee is listed in a tree owned by a Joanne. Are you already in contact with her?
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/messages/13692486/discover?rk=622070722

Linda

Linda Report 1 Jul 2017 20:20

Thank you for the above advice, I will try all, yes I have made contact with Joanne she is a cousin I never knew I had!!???? once again, thank you x