Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to Find Neil Slater born in Edmonton 1936

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hayley

Hayley Report 21 Feb 2017 15:22

I am trying to find my Mums half brother Neil Slater, born Q1 1936 in Edmonton, son of Albert John Slater and Marjorie Harris who later divorced (between 1936 and 1941).

Albert went on to marry Dora Whitney (21/06/1941) at Archway Central Hall and had three girls (Lesley, Kay and Yvonne Slater).

We would like to find out what happened to Neil and his family. Neil possibly joined the Merchant Navy and would now be in his 80s

So far I have ordered Neil's birth certificate and Albert/Marjorie's marriage certificate and I am trying to get hold of a decree absolute through Edmonton Court

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Feb 2017 16:10

have you followed his family forward

patchem

patchem Report 21 Feb 2017 21:56

There is a Marjorie Staddon/Slater living in Wood Green on 1939 census, born 1912, with a closed record. Do you think this could be Marjorie?

Marjorie had no middle initial showing on marriage, and there is a birth for a Marjorie Harris in 1912 in Edmonton. But very speculative.

patchem

patchem Report 21 Feb 2017 22:03

There is this possible death
Marjorie Staddon
BIRTH: 27 Apr 1912
DEATH: Jan 1991 - Hatfield, Hertfordshire, England

patchem

patchem Report 21 Feb 2017 22:21

Cannot see a marriage - there is a Staddon/Staddon marriage, but groom appears to be 10 years younger than Marjorie, and his first wife also appears to be a Marjorie, so probably best to wait for marriage certificate and Father's name.

Choccy

Choccy Report 21 Feb 2017 23:20

London Electoral Registers 1832-1965

living at 8 Conway Gardens, Enfield

Marjorie STADDON
Percy e STADDON
>>>>>>Neil STADDON<<<<<<<<

A Neil Staddon married in March 1960 in Edmonton

Choccy

Choccy Report 21 Feb 2017 23:34

PM sent to Hayley with 2014 ER address (might be worth a letter)

patchem

patchem Report 22 Feb 2017 06:43

Percy E Staddon , of Bognor Regis, died 1968, born about 1905.

patchem

patchem Report 22 Feb 2017 06:50

Possible wife for Neil has her name in her tree on here with birth year of 1939 - try to contact?

Hayley

Hayley Report 22 Feb 2017 10:08

Thank you for all your replies.

I think that Marjorie married/lived with Percy in Enfield with Neil and that Neil's name was changed to Staddon too (I cant find a birth certificate for a Neil Staddon, so that adds up).

I'm also struggling to find proof of any marriage between Marjorie and Percy. Maybe she changed their names to Staddon before marrying (hence the Staddon/Staddon marriage). Or maybe she changed their names but didn't marry.

Also came to the conclusion that Neil married Rita Parish in 1960 and that they lived in St Albans up to 2014. I'm hoping they are still alive now. Neil would be my Mum's half brother and they have never been in contact. I'm not even sure that he knew his father Albert Slater.

Any advice on how best to contact a long lost relative, especially if the circumstances are sensitive? He would be 81 by now so I wouldn't want to upset him.

Thanks
Hayley

Hayley

Hayley Report 22 Feb 2017 10:15

Patchem could you point me towards the Staddon/Staddon marriage you found? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Many thanks for your help
Hayley

Choccy

Choccy Report 22 Feb 2017 10:18

A Percy E Staddon married Rosetta Frasi in 1926. Rosetta Staddon died in 1989, so unless they divorced perhaps he wasn't able to marry Marjorie?

There are several people who have Rosetta Frasi in their trees.

patchem

patchem Report 22 Feb 2017 20:10

The Staddon/Staddon marriage was not of a Percy, so not correct.