Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Heron, Gilbert 1853 - 1941

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoannePeterson

JoannePeterson Report 5 Dec 2016 22:48

I am trying to trace descendants of the above mentioned Gilbert HERON and his third wife, Lilly (Lily) Jane REID. They had two legitimate children --- Elizabeth (Elsie) HERON (1909 - 1996) and William HERON (1911 - 1984).

From documentation found on ScotlandsPeople, we learned that Elizabeth/Elsie married in 1934 to John Rennie SIMPSON. It is not known if they had children or not.

Also from ScotlandsPeople, we learned that William married in 1939 to Elizabeth SIMPSON. And, again, it is not known if they had children.

Were John Rennie SIMPSON and Elizabeth SIMPSON related (possibly siblings)?

Elizabeth/Elsie and William were half siblings of my grandmother, Lizzie Ann REID (1892 - 1957). Lizzie was one of four known illegitimate children who were born to Lilly (Lily) Jane REID prior to her marriage to Gilbert HERON.

Unfortunately, Lizzie Ann (nee Reid) DUNCAN would never discuss the family she left behind when she and her husband emigrated to Canada. It was only by doing some research trying to find out about her family that we managed to find the information about everyone.

Any assistance in helping us to contact descendants of Gilbert HERON and Lilly (Lily) Jane (nee Reid) HERON would be greatly appreciated.

Joanne Peterson
Canada

:-S

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Dec 2016 23:57

Have you tried to contact the other members on Genes who have Gilbert in their trees?

If you click on "search" at the top right of the screen and then click on "search all member trees" and then put in the name Gilbert Heron and his year of birth you will see that there are a number of people with him in their tree. You then have the ability to click on "find out more" and send them a direct message. One of them may be able to help.

Kath. x

patchem

patchem Report 6 Dec 2016 20:57

There seems to be a lot of information about Gilbert on Ancestry - have you contacted tree owners and others on there?

Do you know if either of them (Elizabeth or William) left wills?

JoannePeterson

JoannePeterson Report 9 Dec 2016 18:27

Thank you to KathleenBell and patchem for the suggestions. I am an Ancestry member and always check hints that are provided there --- so far, no luck in tracking down Elizabeth or William or any potential descendants. I will try another search here on Genes to see if anything new comes up. I did a search awhile ago and didn't obtain anything new.

As for wills, I have no idea even where to start looking for something like that. As I live in Canada and they, apparently, passed away in Scotland it is difficult to track something like that down.

Regards, Joanne

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Dec 2016 19:26

This will tell you about Scottish Wills

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/wills-and-testaments

Unfortunately they aren't on line. The calendar can be searched on person in the NRS search roms.
Apparently you need to know the person's name, where they lived, and when they died. Not a lot of help if you don't know!

Although we wouldn't normally suggest it, have you considered hiring a researcher?

JoannePeterson

JoannePeterson Report 9 Dec 2016 20:55

Thank you +++DetEcTive+++ .... I will review the information you sent and see whether or not to pursue this line. It's one of those 'brick walls' that I have come up against and would like to see if there are any other family members out there that would be descended from my grandmother's half siblings. Apparently Grandma would never speak of her family left behind in Scotland. Now, all of her children are gone and it leaves those of us descendants to determine those other distant cousins.

I will persevere and keep looking though. I'm a stubborn Scot descendant and will keep researching until I find out things!!!

Regards, Joanne :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Dec 2016 20:46

If you buy copies of the two marriage certificates (via Scotlands People), they will tell you the names of the parents of Elizabeth Simpson and John Rennie Simpson, so you can find out if they were siblings or not.

SIMPSON
JOHN RENNIE
HERON [ELSIE]
Ref: 204/ 14
Entry No. 14
Inverurie

SIMPSON
ELIZABETH
HERON, WILLIAM
Ref: 204/ 24
Entry No. 24
Inverurie

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Dec 2016 20:49

The informant on John's death cert might turn out to be a child of his and Elsie's:

SIMPSON
JOHN RENNIE
319/ 139
Inverurie