Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption. Manchester 1940

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 26 May 2012 18:55

I am looking for my aunt who was adopted shortly after birth. She was named Ann Blood (mother's maiden name Spiby), born 15 July 1940 in Crumpsall hospital, Manchester. The family had a connection to Stanton St, bradford area of Manchester. She may have been adopted by family members named Hooley or Wilkes.

trailertrash

trailertrash Report 26 May 2012 20:38

Hi Maureen,

sorry I have been unable to find anything helpful. There is not really enough information to go on, ie your grandfathers christian name.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 May 2012 20:50

These are her parents but it isn't what is being asked:

Name: Alice Spiby
Spouse James Blood
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1923
Registration district: Leigh
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume Number: 8c
Page Number: 437

Have you tried registering on the national adoption register?

Otherwise other family members would be the best avenue to follow, if you think she was adopted within the family. Have you tried tracking them down?

Jan

patchem

patchem Report 26 May 2012 20:53

When you say she may have been adopted by Hooley or Wilkes, do you mean that she may have been given that surname and kept Ann as her first name?
Thanks

Maureen

Maureen Report 4 Apr 2016 18:44

I know this is an old post, many family events made me abandon search for a while. Ann was the daughter of my late mother in law Alice Blood nee Spiby. Alice's husband died in 1937 and when she met the father of thus baby she thought she had a future with him. Unfortunately it turned out that he was married and just walked when he knew about the pregnancy. She wanted to keep the baby but family pressure decided otherwise. Such a shame. Would love to find Ann. Her birth certificate gives her name as Ann Blood

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 4 Apr 2016 19:04

Welcome back Maureen!
It would be a good idea to respond to the questions/suggestions above. Did you ever register on the national adoption contact register for example?
Jan

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Apr 2016 19:07

Unless you know her new name then it would be impossible to find her

But . Have you looked in members trees to see if she is listed . Sometimes an adopted child knowing their birth name will put the name in their tree

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Apr 2016 20:17

this is your Alice's birth

Births Sep 1899
Spiby Alice Leigh 8c 320

do you know the four other people who have Alice in their trees here?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/spiby/alice?yearofbirth=1899&yearofbirthrange=2

(the one showing birth 1900 in Atherton must also be the same Alice and someone just didn't bother checking accurate birrth info)

the same four people have James Blood as well

malyon

malyon Report 4 Apr 2016 21:58

there is only one ann blood born in manchester but there is a marriage in 1963 for ann blood in manchester are you sure she was adopted

patchem

patchem Report 9 Apr 2016 08:36

That marriage was in 1968 to Peter Watson.
However, as Maureen says that she has been adopted, presumably that Ann Blood was born elsewhere and moved to Manchester (and Watson is too common a name to pursue.)

Maureen; Where did the suggestions about Hooley or Wilkes come from?

Maureen

Maureen Report 24 Oct 2016 19:17

Sorry for the long delay. My mother in law Alice Blood nee Spiby went to Manchester, Bradford area, to have the baby. She stayed with cousins, one was Elizabeth (Lizzie) Hooley, who later married (? Charles)' Wilkes.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 25 Oct 2016 21:16

The Hooley-Wilkes couple were a good age at the time (as was Alice of course).

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Marriages Sep 1918
Hooley Elizabeth - Wilkes - Prestwich 8d 517
Wilkes Charles P - Heeley - Prestwich 8d 517

There seem to be two births to that marriage, Doris and Alice, 1921 and 1925. Have you considered looking for their families? Those girls would have been at home in 1940 when Alice stayed with the family. Members of their families would know whether they have a cousin or aunt born in 1940.

Again the question of whether you would answer previous questions ...

Have you registered with the adoption contact register?
Do you know the four other people who have Alice in their trees here or have you tried to contact them?

Maureen

Maureen Report 5 Nov 2016 16:32

Thank you all for your help. I feel it may have been an unofficial adoption, my mother in law went to stay with cousins in Manchester and had the baby in hospital, I have the birth certificate. She was very upset when she told me about it. Another cousin, daughter of Alice's sister told me that when she was a young girl some Manchester cousins visited her mother and they had a young girl with them, she always wondered if this was Ann. I haven't registered with the adoption agency, maybe Inshould do that.