General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Memories of bank holidays

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 6 May 2024 13:56

Dear All

Hello

Hope you are well.

What are your memories of bank holidays?

Did you do DIY and make a right mess of this?

Go on a coach trip and remember that someone was still at the seaside?!

Take gentle care
Love EOS
xx

Florence61

Florence61 Report 6 May 2024 15:41

I do remember various childhood Bank Holidays. Many were spent going to the seaside like Hastings or Eastbourne. Picnic on the beach with the seagulls pinching the food lol. Then the rain would come and we would get soaked walking back to the train station!

Planning a BBQ, putting all the food etc on a table in the back garden, getting the food on the grill and then thunder & lightening and the heavens would open!

Oh yes and when we eventually got a car in the 70's, the long tailbacks of traffic trying to get from the seafront out of town. The temp rising on the dashboard and the engine nearly over heating. And being the referee sitting in the back trying to stop the fighting between my 2 younger brothers who got fed up sitting in a very hot car and needing the loo.

Oh Happy Bank Holidays :-D :-D :-D

Florence in the hebrides

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 May 2024 15:53

As a teenager (and that is a while ago!) I was a member of the church youth club, probably one of the younger members at about 14 years old. We used to catch the ferry from Portsmouth to the Isle of wight for the day in a large group.

As young parents we lived near The Forest of Dean and we always took the children out into the Forest maybe to walk or sometimes to picnic.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 May 2024 15:25

Bank Holidays as events with capital letters seem to be more of an English thing.

In Scotland they're just ordinary days except that the banks are shut.
At least I've never been aware of more than that.

Re bus outings in childhood -

We used to have a Sunday School picnic every summer (1950s).
A single-decker busload of children, with a few adult helpers, each holding on to the end of a paper streamer flying out of the bus window..
Destination - some field somewhere, with no facilities as far as I remember.
Each child was given a brown paper bag containing maybe a sausage roll and a biscuit - I don't remember exactly. I suppose there must also have been something to drink - or maybe not , given the possible lack of toilets.

We had races of various sorts, then all got on the bus and went home!
Of course, it was always sunny.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 8 May 2024 20:10

Dear Lady Florence, Lady Ann and Lady Argyll

Thank you very much for your kind replies.

Take gentle care
Love EOS
xx