General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So now it’s blood thinners!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Mar 2024 16:57

The last ct scan in January was a surprise that several of the cancer tumours had actually reduced in size and one gone

Oncologist on 1st feb was your case is curious, your immune system seems to be fighting!

But one new thing was a blood clot showing in the left kidney vein that returns blood back up to heart and lungs

So was referred for an urgent MRI and was waiting for the appointment that never appeared!

So three plus weeks later it rang to ask what the eff is going on!!

Got response two days later to say a radiologist said no not needed as the scan obviously shows the clot

Thanks for leaving me in limbo!

So after they consulted the haematologist I had a phone call on Thursday to say we are putting you on blood thinners permanently because you will be prone to blood clots now because of the cancer you had and the chemo ,

The thinner will stop the clot getting bigger and over time the body will re absorb it

Grandaughter had to make a trip to the hospital pharmacy to pick up 28 day prescription but my doctor will be informed to prescribe for the future

Tbh I’m very wary about taking it but also don’t want a stroke or heart attack!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Mar 2024 17:49

Shirley, I have been on a blood thinner called Clopidogrel since my heart surgery and mini strokes. The only side effects I get are small clots in my nose sometimes and the skin on my legs and ankles is very dry. Apart from that no problems at all and i get peace of mind too.

Its a sensible precaution to take them. I'm on just 1 tab a day.

Its good news that they told you, the the tumours have reduced with 1 actually gone, how amazing is that.

Glad to hear good news from you

Florence in the hebrides

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Mar 2024 18:32

Shirley
Good to hear you are fighting back.
I too am on blood thinners and have been since early 2015, when I had a pulmonary embolism with no known cause. I had various scans with dye injections, but without an obvious cause it was decided that blood thinner was the way forward.
I must admit that I was a bit concerned the first time I cut myself gardening after starting to take them, but I just quickly bound my finger with kitchen tissue, pinched it tightly and sat down with my hand in the air. It soon stopped and I have no side effects. The pill is so tiny and has to be taken with food. I have it at breakfast time and just get on with the day.
Unlike Warfarin, there are not frequent juggling of doses or lots of blood tests beyond a yearly review and it doesn't affect what I can eat.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Mar 2024 07:57

Thanks for the reassuring responses

I have been prescribed Lixiana 60mg one a day

Was told that I must go to A&E If I should ever knock myself or have a fall to be checked for internal bleeding but other than that side effects shouid be minimal

Must go immediately too if I get short of breath as where this blood clot is it can travel to lungs

Maybe a chance of nosebleed but if it’s never been a problem then it an unlikely ,
headaches too may occur

My family doctor will be asked to continue with prescription and monitoring :-)

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 13 Mar 2024 06:41

Dear Shirley

Hello, my lovely.

Please do take care of yourself.

Lots of hugs.

Take gentle care
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Mar 2024 11:42

Thank you Elizabeth :-)