General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bomb Threats in Schools

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 24 May 2016 14:49

This is shocking !
Various schools throughout England, Scotland and Northern Ireland have been the target of bomb threats in the last 24hours .

A primary school in my area has now been closed and all children have been transferred to a neighbouring school .

Who would do this?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 May 2016 15:07

idiots

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 24 May 2016 15:12

I agree Ann. Complete Idiots.

It seems to have started in the US last week and spread to the UK.
It looks like Copy Cat stuff !

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 May 2016 15:13

could be a pupil not wishing to go to school?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 May 2016 18:17

Think it's a larger problem than that AnnCardiff. If it were an isolated incident, you might be right but as of yesterday the numerous effected schools were spread across the country.

It's so selfish of them - England & Wales (don't know about Scotland) are in the middle of their public exam season. One in our county were told by examining board to abandon it as the students would have lost their concentration. They'll now be marked on the part they managed to complete + some of their course work. Their future was at stake! :-| :-| :-|

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 24 May 2016 18:30

There are some very sick people around these days :-( :-(

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 May 2016 18:36

West Midlands had them back in February

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2016/02/08/school-bomb-threats-hoaxes-continue-into-fourth-week/

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 May 2016 19:04

Gloucester apparently had one yesterday, the police assessed the situation, and told the school to carry on. I assume they also did a security check. The problem I think is a non hosxer could jump on the bandwagon.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 May 2016 19:42

well let's hope that if and when they find the culprit they get the book thrown at them - and the bookcase as well

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 26 May 2016 01:01

My daughter told me this evening that a Primary School in Llanelli, Dafen C.P. School, was one of the schools that had to be evacuated because they were one of the schools targeted with threats.

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Bomb-scare-Llanelli-primary-school-leaves-parents/story-29312456-detail/story.html

She also said that a nearby Private (or should that be public) school- St Michael's in the Bryn area of Llanelli received threats too

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Llanelli-s-St-Michael-s-School-evacuated/story-29317515-detail/story.html

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 26 May 2016 10:54

We've had this since the beginning of the year in Australia. A worrying trend. My grandchildren's school was targeted last month and my youngest grandson didn't want to go back to school.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 26 May 2016 15:37

Very frightening for the children, Sue!

My daughter has kept ours home for a few days, not sure whether or not it's the right thing to do, but understandable.

Of course, they get to see and hear all about school atrocities on the news, and so it must terrify them! I know my Great Niece had to be fetched from her school a few weeks ago, because she became very distressed about these things.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 27 May 2016 10:32

Ten years or so we were at the local primary school on voting day. One of the teachers noticed a shoebox sized parcel left on the steps and alerted the PC on duty, him and his mate looked at it, picked it up in one hand, shook it and handed it to the teacher. With the reassuring words, "it looks alright to me"! :-D :-D :-D