General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 24 May 2016 12:36

Calling all techies!

In simple layman's terms, can any of you tell me how to solve this problem on my laptop!

I use Google Chrome as I find it better, especially for GR, than Internet Explorer.

A couple of days ago, suddenly, my google page went irretrievably to the right! It will not budge, and I cannot get to any right hand things like the scroll down bar, maximise button, Red button or any google tools! :-(

What do I do?

Pretty Please :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 May 2016 12:54

Just a thought Jem so I'm not sure whether it will work.

Can you drag it back into position using the control and cursor (arrow or hand or whatever your doofer is)? Failing that, can you plug in your mouse and use it with the control button in the same way?

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 24 May 2016 13:01

Thanks Joy :-)

Already tried dragging it back- it won't budge!
I always use a mouse and tried that method too! :-D :-D :-D :-D

but thanks for trying to help <3

Tabitha

Tabitha Report 24 May 2016 13:19

Have you tried putting your mouse pointer on the blue bit at the top of the screen & giving it a tug

Stupid question is your maximize box visible? Doe it show as one little page or 2

If you hover your mouse pointer over it does it say restore if so click it

Couple of thoughts from the boys in the office

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 24 May 2016 13:41

YEY!

The tugging didn't work but something happened when I hovered over the blue bit and it's back! :-D :-D :-D

I don't really know what happened there .... but IT WORKED!

THANKS TABITHA <3

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 May 2016 13:45

Select the Google Chrome title bar holding the mouse button down all the time.
Now drag the Chrome window to the left.
You should now see the icon with little windows between the "-" minimise and "x" close
Select "Restore down"

If you cannot drag the Chjrome window to the left then stop the Chrome task. You can bring up the running programs list by using Ctrl-Alt_del "Start Task Manager". Make sure the machine is not running in safe mode. Reboot. On restart Chrome should be ok.

The usual reasons for this happening are (a) a 2nd screen was plugged in and is no longer available (b) the actual screen definition is smaller than that defined (c) the machine has started in Safe Mode because of some other problem.

Chrome no longer supports XP and Vista.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 24 May 2016 13:48

Thanks Rollo :-)

It's back, but I will keep a note of your post for another time :-)

I know about Chrome. I have a Vista PC upstairs.
I am going to get some memory sticks to store my records that are on it in case I have problems with it. It's old and slow now! :-D

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 26 May 2016 18:39

IT'S DONE IT AGAIN! :-0 :-0 :-| :-| :-| :-|

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 26 May 2016 18:48

AND IT'S BACK AGAIN! .... phew! :-D :-D :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 26 May 2016 20:00

Jems

What's occurring?

:-D ;-) :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 26 May 2016 20:23

My cats do amazing things with my lappy
because they sit on it every opportunity they get

Lost couldn't how may times they have changed the Language
or turned my screen upside down :-D :-D

If I get stuck I ask baby Satan to sort it out
kids know everything

Bless them :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 May 2016 20:30

Jem, unless you've done anything on the computer since the fault occurred that you want to keep, you could reset it to the day before you experienced the error occurred.

But do ensure that you would not mind losing what you've done since then.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 26 May 2016 23:19

:-D :-D :-D :-D@ Prickles!

I think I know what's happening now JoyL!

When I click for a new tab, my hyperactive mouse is clicking underneath as well!
I will have to get a new mouse!

Hi JoyBA :-)
Perhaps I should have got my 8 year old Granddaughter over to take a look! :-D

Huia

Huia Report 27 May 2016 06:49

Jemima, I would find an external hard drive to be cheaper than lots of memory sticks for all my photos. I put them on an e.h.d. the other day, almost 65GB. That would be more than 8 of the 8 GB mem sticks. If you do use the mem sticks, make sure you label them with what is on them, otherwise you might go to use one that already is full of something which you want to keep. I dont know if it would overwrite it, but it would save a lot of frustration to have them labelled (as I know only too well!)

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 27 May 2016 16:51

Thanks Huia, that may be a good option for me! :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 May 2016 17:00

Mice like any other device have device drivers. The standard ones that come with any version of Windows do the job fine. OEM mice often offer assorted extras BUT can create all kinds of weird results especially if the mouse is years away from the current version of Windows. This applies to MS mice as well.

So if you have dedicated mouse drivers deactivate them and try again.

A few years ago I picked up a five figure fee for sorting out a "security" problem for a client. He was certain their network had been compromised and gave as an example on all the PCs the menus were jiggling around and the cursor was creeping across the screen unaided. The problem was that the Logitech mice in use did not get on with VISTA. Dumped the mice, installed standard MS mice ( without the drivers) and peace and sanity returned.