General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leicester City Secure Premier League Title.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 2 May 2016 22:54

For the first time in our 132-year history, Leicester City Football Club are the champions of England after securing the 2015/16 Barclays Premier League title on Monday night.

Well done to all the Staff

http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/champions-leicester-city-secure-premier-league-title-3089004.aspx

Barbra

Barbra Report 2 May 2016 23:06

Congratulations .Oh says they have worked hard this season . :-)

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 2 May 2016 23:12

I'm A Newcastle and Gateshead supporter but I'm so happy for the club and fans. Well done Leicester City.

GP

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 2 May 2016 23:39

I'm not really a big football fan but, I've been rooting for Leicester City over the last few weeks
Congratulations
:-D :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 3 May 2016 03:02

Well done.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 3 May 2016 05:37

It's a double for Leicester, they also have a snooker world champion as Mark Selby won it last night. :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 3 May 2016 07:38

A certain Leicester car park was the 'news of the year' not so long ago.

Rumours at the time in the Red Tops that an iPad was found beside the body of King Richard III were stringently quashed by the PM.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 May 2016 07:58

I don't like football, but well done Leicester!

I'll probably intentionally watch my first ever 'Match of the Day', the day Gary Linekar presents the programme in his pants :-D

kandj

kandj Report 3 May 2016 09:50

An absolutely brilliant result. Congratulations to all Leicester City fans. Unbelievable!!

Our Grandson is also a Newcastle supporter like you GP. Struggling with possible relegation at the minute. Hope the team get a little miracle to keep them up though.
"Football It's A Funny Old Game" title of a book written by Kevin Keegan (ex NUFC Manager), very true words, especially now Leicester City have taken the League Cup.

Pat, I didn't know Mark Selby had won the snooker final.... a double celebration indeed for Leicester then, and very many congratulations to Mark Selby too.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 May 2016 12:53

Leicester is a wonderful place and I'll be there next Sat :-) - my tigerish roots go back 500 years. The writing has been on the wall since Christmas just nobody wanted to read it.

The best thing about their football is that it is exciting no tickytacky at all. They don't care about possession Leicester have just one idea which is to put the ball where it belongs in the back of their opponents net. They are not very gentle about how the job gets done, like Spurs they evoke fear.

As well as Vardy crisps other cool things in friendly Leicester are Sig. Ranieri, the markets, lots of great places to eat and proper pubs, the Curve Theatre, Tigers rugby team, very multi-cultural ( inc KingPower ) , wonderful Victorian architecture, esp clock towers, ( once they stopped knocking it down), excellent Uni. Richard III, Mark Selby, the pheonix like recovery of the rag trade. It is the only UK city which has demolished a major urban flyover.

Leicester, Liverpool, Spurs, Southampton and just recently Newcastle have developed a radical departure from old Spanish customs, a fast and furious game which takes no prisoners. If England build on this at the Euros there could be another surprise result.

nananan<3Leicester!

ps: I think Newcastle will stay up and the Mackems go down along with Norwich and Villa.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 3 May 2016 13:29

Big congratulations to all Leicester fans, football team and
the city itself.

Well deserved :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 3 May 2016 13:45

Well done Leicester, worthy winners.Pity it wasn't my team but at least it has kept our Norf London rivals from winning it.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 May 2016 14:03

There are few worse things that can happen in London than Spurs. Anybody who grew up supporting a London club will know exactly what LaGooner means. For the neutrals just look at the way Spurs ( they have another name not allowed here not p.c. ) played yesterday with nine yellow cards and two major fracas with the manager involved on top. Quite how they avoided a couple of red cards I know not.

No Chelsea player could bear going down the Kings Road with a defeat to Spurs hanging around his neck. It was just not going to happen, it never will.

Leicester are hard men Vardy in particular. Cuddly tigers only in dreams. They don't cheat. Leicester is not that sort of city. They also beat Spurs home and away this season :-)

With all the new TV money the Foxes could do it again why not? They are tough and hungry. Having tasted blood ...

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 3 May 2016 14:49

Totally agree Rollo. We are not PC when we speak of 'that lot here' . with 7 Gooners in the family. I still do the chant that we used to used walking down past the ground :-D :-D :-D :-D

kandj

kandj Report 3 May 2016 14:54

Hope your prediction is correct Rollo. Don't really want our Grandson wearing the black armband at the end of the season. He is very passionate about NUFC, has been a junior magpie since he was 6 and is a season ticket holder with them now.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 May 2016 16:17

giggles ( my aunty lived in Edmonton )

:-D

Annx

Annx Report 3 May 2016 19:19

I live in the county and worked in Leicester for about 38 years. I'm not a footie fan but am married to a non league fan and yes, it's a great achievement as you all say! I had to go to 3 shops this morning before I could find one that hadn't sold out of the local newspaper! As I drove around, there were blue City shirts tied to the railings on the motorway bridge and lots of cars had City scarves flapping out of the windows.

The city has lost too many of it's fine buildings over the years and I liked it better 30 years ago when it was a lot cleaner too. You forgot Walkers pork pies too Rollo. ;-) Top Hat Terrace and 'Tanky Smith' are interesting and the Leicester fat man, Daniel Lambert's chair is in the Newarke Houses Museum. I seem to recall it took 20 odd men to move his coffin when he died. He is buried at Stamford where he died and I visited his grave once. I thought I may have a job to find it, but it was huge and well tended and beautifully marked out with rocks lined with flowering crocuses at the time.