General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SON IN LAW SAID

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 2 May 2015 22:33

MY SON IN LAW SAID ANYONE WHO VOTES UKIP IS A WASTED VOTE.
WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF EVERYONE WHO HAD NO CONFIDENCE ON OTHER PARTIES VOTED FOR
THE WASTED VOTE
WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN THEN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ann

ann Report 2 May 2015 23:55

I think ukip have more votes than anyone will admit? Hope you are well Gwen xx

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 3 May 2015 00:45

I must be a waster then :-D

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 3 May 2015 06:53

The more people who vote UKIP the likelier the chance of a Labour majority.

In the real world I don't know anyone who supports UKIP, I know more Greens than Kippers.

If everyone who said they were going to vote Liberal at the last election had actually voted Liberal there would have been a very different outcome. Statistics show that people revert to type once the ballot paper is in their hands.

Dermot

Dermot Report 3 May 2015 08:28

The single most serious illness infecting the body politic in the UK, or elsewhere, is the philosophy – if one can call it that – which says "Why bother voting. We can't change anything".

Democratic elections sometimes produce unexpected & unwelcome results.

Same as non-democratic elections where the electorate are ordered who to vote for.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 3 May 2015 08:39

I've said this here before. Mum was a Tory, Dad was Labour or Liberal.
Sometimes they would agree to not vote because they would only cancel each other out.

But Dad would always vote anyway. It was years before Mum found out. She found out by seeing him when she sneaked over to vote.

Always use your vote!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 May 2015 09:20

No vote is wasted!

Even if your preferred candidate doesn't get a majority, your vote shows other candidates that they dont have universal support. With our system, the total number of votes for other people usually exceed those for the winner.

Barbra

Barbra Report 3 May 2015 10:44

People need to vote & be counted .its our right .I think All the parties are full of Hot air .But someone has to have The Key for No 10 Downing Street Who ? we shall see :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 May 2015 10:48

people who don't vote for a valid reason should be fined

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 3 May 2015 10:56

Voting should be made compulsory like it is in OZ.

Then we would see which is the party that gets the key to No 10.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 May 2015 11:45

I hate the ones that moan after an election about who got into No 10 but they then say they did not vote.

Guinevere I used to do a lot of door step canvassing many years ago and a lot of people said their votes would cancel out their partners but they usually did vote

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 May 2015 12:04

I don't think voting should be compulsory as not everybody agrees with representative democracy preferring for instance communism, fascism, government by caliphate or even anarchy. Quite a lot of people detest politicians of any stripe.

The thinking behind compulsory voting usually has more to do with the govts desire for registration and control than democracy per se. The USA gets on fine without compulsory voting for instance.

I do think we should have write in votes.

For those who do vote it shows they have thought about the matters and have made an effort to shift their backside to vote or send off their postal vote. Regardless of who they vote for , even UKIP, this is to be applauded.

The only wasted votes are votes never made inc. spoiled papers.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 May 2015 12:12

Been at local council counts and yes they do spoil ballot papers but why do they bother going to the polling station to do that.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 May 2015 14:10

After the Referendum, when the result was announced, the Official said

Votes in Favour *****
Votes Against ******
Blank Voting Papers ****
Papers with more than 1 vote *****
Torn Papers ****
Spoilt Papers *****

Total acceptable votes ****

I can't remember the actual figures, but it's the only time I have ever heard it done like that.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 3 May 2015 14:12

I agree with Ann

think of the Revenue fining none votes would generate :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 May 2015 14:39

Think of the political fall out of taking somewhere around 15 million people to court .... not to mention the practical impossibility of doing so. Yeah, it works in Oz, so what? Oz is a far more authoritarian country than the UK has ever been or wanted to be Ms May excepted of course.

Say these 15 M disaffected people were coerced into voting and they mostly voted for The Screaming Loony Raving Monster Party, UKIP or the Greens or just spoiled their paper with anglo-saxon and urdu epithets then what ? Maybe that is how a creep such as Mr Abbott got to power.

So such a rule will never happen even though the rise of the SLRMP would please Mz Winchester.

In any case once minority parties get a sniff of power they are just as bad as all the others - look closely at how the SNP doesn't work for ordinary people in Edinburgh, how all the parties conspire against the common weal in Cardiff or the dubious antics of the Greens in Brighton. And then of course the Cleggies ... UKIP so far have the luxury of never having held office in the UK. Their near total inertia in Brussels (except for claiming expenses ) suggest that in the UK any UKIP MPs will be rare birds at Westminster - no better than the Irish men.

At least we now know what Brian Rix meant by the phrase "Whitehall Farce".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upEBdKFGlPg

Linda

Linda Report 3 May 2015 14:42

I agree with you Sue voting should be made compulsory my daughter and son in law never vote and although I keep my mouth shut I think they should

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 3 May 2015 14:43

could be a standard fine no court
like the old parishes used to do :-D

somebody in my family got finned for not going to church 4 Sundays in a row
and also for not marking his pig

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 May 2015 16:18

were they fishmongers?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 3 May 2015 16:19

Who wants to vote for a misogynistic, homophobic, immirgrant hating bunch of idiots?

Farage is a foreigner, his wife is a foreigner, will they both go back to their homelands? I think not.....

Many of his ridiculous policies will take working laws back years, all that the unions and the suffragettes fought and died for gone.

Fiscal policies whic make little or no senses, and do not even add up!!

Me vote UKIP I would cut my own hands off first...