General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

great way to get rid of ants

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Apr 2014 18:40

sprinkle some cinnamon - they hate it and they'll clear off somewhere else :-D

it really works - give it a try

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 18 Apr 2014 18:59

What a brilliant idea, does it work on spiders though *shudders*

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Apr 2014 19:00

Am I cruel I just use boiling water :-0 :-0

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 18 Apr 2014 19:04

I have done that Mersey, on a red ants nest on the lawn, their bites really hurt, but a natural method is much kinder

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Apr 2014 19:08

best way ive found is

to hide a can of opened can of coke a cola
in the neighbours garden they go there then ;-) ;-) ;-)

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Apr 2014 19:13

Joy im going to try that one Lolol :-D :-D :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Apr 2014 19:15

tilt the can slightly
and make sure the sides are sticky with the coke
they cant resist it nor can wasps :-D :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Apr 2014 19:17

:-D :-D :-D :-D

I sometimes use fly spray...and flying ants drive me crazy!!!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Apr 2014 22:18

works for tigers as well, haven't seen one around our way, for ages!!

;-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Apr 2014 22:37

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Apr 2014 23:05

Must admit I use the boiling water method. Sprinkle some sugar around where they're seen and then watch where they carry it back to and then kettle full of hot water.

Sorry if people think it's cruel but can't stand the blighters.

Kuros

Kuros Report 18 Apr 2014 23:10

I use boiling water too but it does destroy the grass if the nest's on the lawn.

Annie

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Apr 2014 08:39

Thanks Ann :-D

I sprinkled some cinnamon on the handrail of our deck (it usually looks like an ant freeway)... and the ants scurried off very quickly!

The cinnamon with probably blow away or get washed off in the next shower, but that doesn't matter......... I'll sprinkle more.

I'm wondering if it would work if I mixed cinnamon & water & sprayed it around?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Apr 2014 08:56

Wish I could use sprays or cinnamon as we have trouble with ants along the damp course line on the back of the house . We have a paved patio ,there with a small expansion gap between the house and the paving so that rain doesn't bridge the damp course We get ants along the gap but we also have Harold the 50 year old tortoise wandering the patio . He can't get out as the patio is enclosed as the garden slopes upwards from the house . Can't use ant powders etc because of the danger to him

I get paranoid seeing the ants coming up and down the gap and won't leave the back door open in case they come in .Am guessing they have nested under the patio .

Would be grateful for any suggestions on what I can use

:-D

Joeva

Joeva Report 19 Apr 2014 10:45

You could try bog standard talcum powder Shirley - that has worked for me in the past :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Apr 2014 12:41

Sorry wasn't ignoring ,have been at the vets from 9.55 till past 12 for Mirabelles daily medication. Was last in a crowded waiting room as they weren't open yesterday . Have to go to the main vets tomorrow and Monday as she has to be medicated daily and it can't be done at home . Been 7 weeks now on a daily basis .

Anyway thanks Joeva not sure if talc would be ok to the tortoise though. Harold is over 50 years old and wouldn't want to do anything that be a danger to him

Annx

Annx Report 19 Apr 2014 13:13

Oh thanks for the tip..........I noticed them in the greenhouse the other day so will try it! :-)

Merlin

Merlin Report 19 Apr 2014 13:25

Sounds like a good Idea Ann, :-D But would it get rid of "Dec" too? :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Apr 2014 13:54

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 20 Apr 2014 03:24

There's another thread on here about orchids, Bernie gave me some advice about getting rid of black mould.

I've mixed up some cinnamon in the bottle of 50/50 water & methylated spirits & squirted it around the deck and on plants that have ants and/or mould.

Either it will work or the plants will die :-( but...... so far so good!

:-D