General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

emails.... how private are they?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 17 Apr 2014 02:50

This is disturbing........

:-0 :-0 :-0

http://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/news/google-is-scanning-your-emails

Are they the only company doing this?

:-(

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 17 Apr 2014 06:55

That is really scary ,Lady Scozz.... :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0

Margot

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Apr 2014 07:31

Before e-mails, everything, money, official documents, your innermost secrets, precious photographs,travelled from place to place wrapped in a piece of paper!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 17 Apr 2014 08:15

true, but most of the time, nobody else was reading our mail.

I don't know why gmail is being scanned....... but the bogus email I got last week from a friend, with a phishy attachment was from a gmail account. :-S

Graham

Graham Report 17 Apr 2014 09:03

I have often been told that an e-mail is as private as a postcard. I'm no expert though.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Apr 2014 09:39

Google scans yr e-mail so as to get data for its targeted advertising. AFAIK Microsoft web mail does the same.

What happens if you are shopping for, say, an AK100 and a kilo of semtex or a hydroponics plant farm and travel tickets to Amsterdam I don't know haven't tried ;-)

GCHQ and NASA scan headers rather than the e-mail body - they are interested in targets' people networks. If, through say Facebook, you end up being a friend of a friend who is on the target list then good luck.

There is much the same problem with cars, the police "tag" cars of interest. If they tag a rental vehicle or s/hand car and then forget to remove the tag ( it is all in the ANPR system ) then you can expect an interesting day.

Yahoo has recently upgraded its email security.

If you really want secure private e-mail then there a few methods.

Cheapest and easiest is to use your ISPs POP3 email rather than web mail.
Stepping it up use PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) to add a authentication data and if you wish encrypt the e-mail. The Blackberry message system is now available for Android as an app.

Also free you can install TOR on your windows system and use the internet fairly anonymously including email. You may find it a bit slow though. TOR is much beloved by those living under oppressive regimes and piratez. Interestingly there has been a sharp rise in the use of TOR in Scotland lol.

For a fee you can use a commercial secure email service.

Of course wrapping your e-mail in a cloak of steel will make you a person of interest - it is a bit like driving around in a heavily modded old Beemer M3 with dark windows and lowered suspension.

Illegal monitoring of electronic communications for purposes of industrial espionage and legal investigations is rife and makes Google's scanning look very innocuous.

Especially for LadyScozz Telstra/Bigpond have no concept whatsoever of net privacy and down under you may consider them an extensions of Oz security services. Add that on to Mr Abbott's known likes and dislikes ...

d'day possums
:-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 17 Apr 2014 10:35

I'm in Oz, but I don't use BigBog (that name suits them, for the way they treat customers).

Mr Abbott has his likes & dislikes, just like everyone else......... but the day he tries to make his likes/dislikes the only ones allowed..... I'm emigrating to NZ.

... hello possums.... the only person I've heard saying that is Dame Edna :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Apr 2014 10:52

Telstra / Bigpond control Australian perimeter routers and so all internet traffic in Oz passes through their network at some point regardless of the ISP. That is why it is so ez for the Oz govt to censor the internet.