General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christian Thread

Page 0 + 1 of 458

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 15 Dec 2012 15:56

What did St Peter preach at Pentecost? From Catholic on-line:

People of Israel, listen to what I am going to say: Jesus the Nazarene was a man commended to you by God by the miracles and portents and signs that God worked through him when he was among you, as you know.

This man, who was put into your power by the deliberate intention and foreknowledge of God, you took and had crucified and killed by men outside the Law.

But God raised him to life, freeing him from the pangs of Hades; for it was impossible for him to be held in its power since, as David says of him: I kept the Lord before my sight always, for with him at my right hand nothing can shake me.

So my heart rejoiced my tongue delighted; my body, too, will rest secure, for you will not abandon me to Hades or allow your holy one to see corruption.

You have taught me the way of life, you will fill me with joy in your presence.

'Brothers, no one can deny that the patriarch David himself is dead and buried: his tomb is still with us.

But since he was a prophet, and knew that God had sworn him an oath to make one of his descendants succeed him on the throne, he spoke with foreknowledge about the resurrection of the Christ: he is the one who was not abandoned to Hades, and whose body did not see corruption.

God raised this man Jesus to life, and of that we are all witnesses.

Now raised to the heights by God's right hand, he has received from the Father the Holy Spirit, who was promised, and what you see and hear is the outpouring of that Spirit.

For David himself never went up to heaven, but yet he said: The Lord declared to my Lord, take your seat at my right hand, till I have made your enemies your footstool.

'For this reason the whole House of Israel can be certain that the Lord and Christ whom God has made is this Jesus whom you crucified.'

Hearing this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, 'What are we to do, brothers?'

'You must repent,' Peter answered, 'and every one of you must be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise that was made is for you and your children, and for all those who are far away, for all those whom the Lord our God is calling to himself.'

He (St Peter) spoke to them for a long time using many other arguments, and he urged them, 'Save yourselves from this perverse generation.'

They accepted what he said and were baptised. That very day about three thousand were added to their number.

Because Jesus, the Jewish Messiah, died and was raised back to life for ever and ever, we rise from our eventual death. It is sure and certain, friends. You live in the new Jerusalem, you are a citizen of the new Israel. And you must claim Jesus as your Saviour. Look to Him, look to the Cross. There is no other way to attain everlasting and heavenly, love-filled and painless life.

First step may be attending your favourite local church or chapel on 8th June 2014.

kandj

kandj Report 15 Dec 2012 18:30

Loved the Midnight Mass service, coming out of church in the early hours of Christmas morning was just magical and still is very special for me and my family.

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 15 Dec 2012 18:32

Why do you keep harping on about religion. :-\

Carol

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 15 Dec 2012 19:03

kandj. Remember seeing my little daughter take part in a Christingle in Ely Cathedral many years ago. Massive Cathedral, absolutely packed with children and parents. No lights on. Just flickering candles from each child's orange. :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 15 Dec 2012 19:09

grabs BCs tamborine

and beats out

GLORY GLORY GLORY ;-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 15 Dec 2012 19:12

Joy. Yes, I agree. I hadn't realised that you and BC were playing members of the Salvation Army. But I just love what you both do at Christmas in particular. It is very much appreciated by a lot of people. :-D :-D :-D

LilyL

LilyL Report 15 Dec 2012 19:25

Because, Carol, that's what the thread's is about - Religion!. I for one. love this aspect of Christmas from Carols, esp, Kings College on Christmas Eve, grandchildren's Nativity Play to Midnight Mass which is quite beautiful.. Perhaps it is all myth, all will be revealed one day, but I'm a simple soul and I think it's lovely.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 15 Dec 2012 19:32

I love xmas, even though there is no such thing as god and jesus wasnt born on xmas day.

But i enjoy eating my turkey all the same.

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 15 Dec 2012 19:35

But John you should know by now that all religious threads end up in an argument.

Carol

LilyL

LilyL Report 15 Dec 2012 19:40

As this is a 'Christian' thread I can't see why it should end up in argument; Discussion, of course, but argument - why?

kandj

kandj Report 15 Dec 2012 19:43

Oh yes John, I also agree that the Christingle Carol service with little ones is wonderful too.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 15 Dec 2012 19:46

No reason for any argument - yet.

Lovely post, LilyL. And a very happy time of the year to you, Eldrick :-D

Happy Christmas, Carol :-D

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 15 Dec 2012 19:48

I know that people can post where they like but if religion isn't your thing why join the thread and moan about it. It could be a good thread if left for people to comment on that do believe or who just want to share memories of christmas services.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 15 Dec 2012 19:50

Not unless someone starts one Carol.

Many of us can discuss these things quite reasonably.

3rd Sunday in Advent tomorrow and we're having the nativity play........won't be a dry eye in the house I guess.......except the clergy who will be hoping it all runs smoothly....... :-D

Most of my friends on here and on FB are non-believers......but we are still friends and I can endure leg pulling. However, one of them posted this on there.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Vnt7euRF5Pg&vq=medium

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 Dec 2012 19:50

Why does your thread state "Christian Thread" in the title? are you suggesting that only Christians celebrate Christmas?

Just because they both have the word "christ" in it, doesn't mean that just Christians celebrate Christmas

Even Muslim's celebrate christmas in a small way, I have christmas cards from Muslim friends to prove it

Roy

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 15 Dec 2012 19:51

I know who DOES hate Christmas.

The turkey :-(

LilyL

LilyL Report 15 Dec 2012 19:58

I totally agree with you JustGinnie. It would be really nice to be able to post your own feelings and memories, and perhaps questions without incurring scathing, and at times hurtful/rude comments from people who clearly can't/won't even acknowledge anyone elses point of view. Please, let those of us who do believe or respect those who do, have a peaceful conversation. Thank you John for your kind comments, and a very Happy Christmas to you and everyone else here.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 15 Dec 2012 20:04

Roy. Just seemed appropriate. And anybody not that interested in the Christian side of Christmas is very welcome here.

I do think the modern Christmas is very inclusive. It brings together Eid and Divali and Hannukah and lots of old pagan images as well. So something for us all to enjoy. I might even gobble a turkey bone with Eldrick one year (yes, Cynthia, poor turkey - and poor sprouts) :-D

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 15 Dec 2012 20:07

I love Christmas for all sorts of reasons, I am lucky that I have family near and we get together and that I can speak to my family that live overseas on Skype. We exchange gifts and cards with friends and neighbours many of whom are not christian. I have close family that are deeply religious and although we do not have their commitment of faith I have respect for the path they have chosen to follow.

Yes there are many people that celebrate Christmas who are not Christian but John is so that is why he put it in the title.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Dec 2012 20:32

I love Christmas, the decorations, buying presents, sending and receiving cards, and yes, I do remember the real meaning. I love my nativity scene, would not be Christmas without it. I was brought up in a Christian home and, although I don't attend church these days I do still have faith. There is no reason why there should not be a Christian thread. Anyone who doesn't want to doesn't have to read or add to it.