Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Torkington, London/Surrey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2010 17:09

Help please!! William Torkington (b. 1854, Kensington) son of George John Torkington (b. 1827, Kennington) and Jane Elizabeth (nee Rose) (b. 1824, Greenwich) was present on 1861 census living with parents and siblings at Church Road, Battersea.
On subsequent census records I am unable to locate his details (even with spelling variations). William's parents and siblings remained in the London area.
I have checked the death records for the London/Surrey area to check whether William had died (although I believe he was still alive in 1913) but to no avail.
I 'think' he may have joined the armed forces but have no proof of this.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Kind regards
Sue

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 6 Feb 2010 17:29

Have you ruled this Death index out

Deaths Mar 1871 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torkington William
age 17
Chelsea 1a 167

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2010 17:41

Hi Barbara
I hadn't found that entry - that certainly 'fits the bill'.
Unfortunately it means I will have to go back to the drawing board as I thought I may have found a 'life-line'.
My main line of enquiry concerns a William Edward Torkington who was the father of Arthur Gordon Torkington (details on Torkington site).
It looks like Arthur's father was the William Torkington born in Burnley - I somehow thought that perhaps the man born in London might have been Arthur's father.
Don't suppose you have any ideas as to whom William Edward Torkington (b. circa 1854 at Burnley) married and where he was when the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census records were taken. I have hit a blank wall!!
Thanks for your help and advice.
Kind regards
Sue

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2010 18:07

So sorry I meant Burnley and not Bolton (oh dear yet another senior moment)!!!
Yes the William Edward Torkington (b.1853, Burnley) was killed in action on 2nd September 1916 and had been in 2nd Scottish Rifles.
However I cannot locate him on the 1891, 1901 or 1911 census records or any details of his marriage etc.
Your help is much appreciated.
Kind regards
Sue

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2010 18:25

Yes have tried 1891 and 1901 Scottish records but no 'sign' of him,' I suppose he may have been abroad but would he have taken his family with him (Arthur Gordon, a Scottish christian name, would have only been about 6 in 1891)?
Do you know whether there any sites to check those possibilities?
Thanks
Sue

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2010 19:02

The Cameronians (2nd Scottish Rifles) were on active service during the Boer War so perhaps William Edward Torkington was in South Africa when the 1901 census was taken.
Still the question - were his family with him?
Oh questions, questions and more questions ..... !!!!!!!
Sue

Susan

Susan Report 7 Feb 2010 00:53

I have no firm location for William's place or date of birth.
On Arthur and Eliza's marriage certificate (1913) it states Arthur Gordon Torkington to have been 20 years old at time of marriage (ie born circa 1893) and occupation 'Stoker, Petty Officer at Portsmouth'. I have wondered whether the age could have been misread, then mistranscribed, and maybe it was 26 or 28 but nothing to back it up!!
However Arthur died in 1947 and his age at his death was stated to be 62 years (ie being born circa1885).
That is the first discrepancy (year of birth).
Arthur and Eliza's marriage certificate further shows Arthur's father as being William Edward Torkington and his occupation was that of 'barrack sergeant'.
I am unable to locate details of Arthur Gordon's place and date of birth although I've tried various spellings nothing is apparent.
I have insufficient information on either Arthur Gordon or William Edward to request birth certificates.
The death (killed in action) of William Edward Torkington in 1916 shows him to have been born in Burnley. I have sent messages on Genes and Ancestry sites to members who have William Torkingtons (born in Burnley and/or Bolton) but no-one has information of a marriage or offspring.
A complete mystery!!
Kind regards
Sue

Mavis

Mavis Report 7 Feb 2010 09:45

Susan if you go to The National Archives site

Torkington Arthur Gordon born 1885 Dublin the seaman records can be down loaded for £3 -- 50 with a credit card

that may help a bit , Irish rather than Scottish

Mavis

Susan

Susan Report 9 Feb 2010 22:52

Mavis - you're an absolute star, many thanks to you and all the other lovely 'family' on the Genes site.
Kind regard
Sue

Shirley

Shirley Report 25 Apr 2024 22:52

The william edward torkington who died in 1916 was born around 1885 and married sarah Wigglesworth in 1905 in burnlley and had two children when he died including Clifford torkington :-)

Shirley

Shirley Report 25 Apr 2024 22:55

He was 20 in 1905 makes him born around 1885 dad Walter. He was 31 when he died in 1916 :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Apr 2024 22:58

Shirley -

If you're intending that information for Susan, you'll be better to click on her name and send a private message.

If she has kept GR notified of any changes in her email address. they'll be able to notify her of your reply.

She hasn't posted on this thread since 2010, so won't be looking for replies here.