Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CHRISTINA HERVEY d.June 24th 1850

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 31 Aug 2016 17:25

This lady is the eldest sister of my ancestor T[homas] K[ibble] H[ervey], poet and author.
I have found her Obituary in The Gentleman's Magazine for that year. It reads: "June 24. At Seacombe, near Liverpool, Christina, the eldest surviving dau. of the late James Hervey, esq. of Manchester, and sister of T.K. Hervey, esq. of London."
But I cannot find the record of her death in all the usual places and I'm baffled. I want to order her Death Certificate!!
There is a "Christian Hervey" who comes up for that year in roughly the right area but doesn't give the age at death - which would help.
All help gratefully received on this one.

safc

safc Report 31 Aug 2016 17:41

Cheshire Death indexes for the years: 1850
Surname Forename(s) Age or Year of Birth Sub-District Registers At Reference
HERVEY Christian 65 Wallasey Wirral WAL/3/84

http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/

Andrew

Andrew Report 31 Aug 2016 17:43

Seacombe is on the Wirral where the Christian Hervey death is recorded. Looking at the document on Freebmd, the record has been transcribed from the original handwrittten source and they can be difficult to read. My guess would be that that is the correct record you are looking for.

There is no Christian Hervey on the 1841 census and Christina is in the rifgt place.

Andy

malyon

malyon Report 31 Aug 2016 17:45

could have spelt the name wrong found this death the only one for that name and in june

Christian Hervey

England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007

Name Christian Hervey
Event Type Death
Registration Quarter Apr-May-Jun
Registration Year 1850
Registration District Wirral
County Cheshire
Event Place Wirral, Cheshire, England
Volume 19
Page 259
Line Number 131

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Aug 2016 17:47

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/wirral.html

says Wirral includes the parish of Poulton cum Seacombe

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 31 Aug 2016 18:01

Thank you all.
I'm going to have to take the plunge and order 'Christian's' DC - digits crossed. I had already decided this was the only way but hoped that you amazing GR's might winkle something out of the depths!!
Will update this post when I receive the DC.
:-D

malyon

malyon Report 31 Aug 2016 18:47

born 7th feb 1799

Deaths Mar 1859 (>99%)

Hervey Thomas Kibble Pancras 1b 125

On 17 Oct. 1843 he married Eleanor Louisa (b. 1811), daughter of George Conway Montagu of Lackham, Wiltshire

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 31 Aug 2016 19:01

Nicola ...Go to your post May 2016 and you will see on the 12th May 23.43 GlasgowLass posted details of Christina/Christian's Death Reg. so I think you can be sure its Christina

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1359821?page=0

malyon

malyon Report 31 Aug 2016 19:14

Christina in 1841 census

Christina Hervey

England and Wales Census, 1841

Name Christina Hervey
Event Type Census
Event Date 1841
Event Place Neston, Cheshire, England
Residence Note Ashfield House
Gender Female
Age 45-49
Age (Original) 45
Birth Year (Estimated) 1792-1796
Birthplace Scotland
Registration District Wirrall
Book Number 8
Parish Neston
County Cheshire
Page Number 17
Registration Number HO107
Piece/Folio 124/11
Affiliate Record Type Household

Household

Role

Birthplace

Christina Hervey F 45-49 Scotland xxxxxx
Jane Hervey F 40-44 Scotland
Jane Hervey F 35-39 Scotland
Emily Marshall F 15-19 Foreign
Mary Binns F 15-19
Dora Hall F 15-19
Elizabeth Hodgson F 15-19
Elizabeth Woodall F 14
Mary Pilling F 14
Caroline Salusbury F 13
Ann Davies F 30-34
Elizabeth Speed F 30-34 Cheshire

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 31 Aug 2016 20:58

Erin, you have come to the rescue - again. Thank you.

For some reason, my GR won't allow me to 'search' for past names on the posts. It just whirls around and around and never gets anywhere.

I had the Christina in 1841 and also an entry in the Chester Gazeteer which shows 'the Misses Hervey' running the Boarding School in Neston [Wirral].

Annoyingly she died in 1850, the year before the next census ............... :-(

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 31 Aug 2016 21:47

hervey Nicola s genes

(try adding above on google search, Nicola, they will all come up. GR search waste of time, lol)

Chris :)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Aug 2016 21:59

"Advanced Search" hasn't worked for years, Nicola, in spite of lots of complaints about it.
It's not even worth trying it!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 Sep 2016 21:03

Nicola...I have all your Hervey et al posts going back to the beginning so just shout and I will link you to the appropriate thread if your stuck.

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 3 Sep 2016 20:07

That is SO KIND of you. You're always there for me - don't resign!!
:-D

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 11 Sep 2016 19:17

I've posted this q and a on to this thread as well as the 'Scottish Hervie's' other post of mine - for completeness.

"Update: CHRISTIAN/CHRISTINA Hervey :-)
I have Christian's/Christina's DC in front of me now.

She died on 24th June 1850 and her first name is CLEARLY written as CHRISTIAN, aged 65, daughter of James Hervey, Merchant (deceased). So it all adds up and is deffo the right gal.

However, her cause of death is an odd one and I've tried googling it without success. It states 'Scirrus. 5 years. Certified'. The writing is very clear - makes a nice change - but I can get nothing up on what s.c.i.r.r.u.s. might be. Any medicos out there, please?
%3A-%29

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report Mark this as answered 11 Sep 2016 16:28

Scirrhus - Cancerous tumors

http://www.comportone.com/cpo/genealogy/articles/names_illinesses.htm

(from above, Old Names for
Illnesses and Causes of Death)

Chris :)"

And now I am wondering how I could find her burial?? She died at "Poolton-cum-Seacombe" and could be buried under either of those first names I suppose, odd though it sounds!!

I am hoping for a headstone ...............
:-)

malyon

malyon Report 11 Sep 2016 19:37

there is this web site

http://forebears.co.uk/england/lancashire/poulton
http://www.historyofwallasey.co.uk/wallasey/Wallasey_Churches_Poulton_cum_Seacombe/index.html

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 11 Sep 2016 22:13

Thank you Malyon.
Have tried to find out more on both those website links but no joy. :-(
Wonder whether there's another avenue? I will try Lancs OPC tomorrow.
N

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 12 Sep 2016 22:58

No go on Lancs OPC for her burial.

Any help available on this one please? There was 'money' and so I think she would have had a proper burial!
:-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Sep 2016 08:27

Was there a family plot where either her parents or siblings were buried? Could she have been taken there?

We do sometimes assume that not only have all PR survived, but that they're also all on line. Accidents have happened where they've suffered damage or destruction. There are still some churches who have refused to send their completed registers to the archives.
It's about that period that councils started to open municipal cemeteries. Have you considered that route?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 13 Sep 2016 19:53

Evening Nicola......What address do you have for Christna and who Reg the death....?