Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It's those elusive HERVEY's - again!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 1 May 2016 21:46

My GGG Aunt is ISABEL MATLEY HERVEY, born 1834 in Manchester.

I have her in many, many places but NOT in the 1851 census when she would have been c.17/18. We have a lot of family memorabilia about her and the family but there is no mention of her being abroad [on her own] at that age ..........

Can you see her, please? You will see that I have amended the Ancestry transcription of their surname from their HENRY to the correct HERVEY.

Thank you.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 May 2016 21:49

Who were her parents ?

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 1 May 2016 21:55

ROBERT and JANE.

safc

safc Report 1 May 2016 21:56

if isabel matley hervey was in manchester in 1851

she could be in these damaged records

Missing data / damaged records

The 1851 census contains transcriptions and reconstructed images for around 180,000 individuals - available online for the first time - which have been retrieved from severely damaged pages.

The records for the Manchester, Chorlton, Salford, Oldham and Ashton-Under- Lyne registration districts were water damaged many years ago due to flooding.

As a result many were too fragile to be filmed or no writing was visible, but a 14 year project by the Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society (MLFHS) has recovered information from around 82 per cent of the damaged records.

The reconstructed images follow the same layout as the originals, and where relevant include details of neighbouring households.

For a full list of all the known missing pieces read our 'Census for England, Wales and Scotland: missing pieces' article, which is available in the Useful Links and Resources section.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 May 2016 21:57

Ok found them
1851 census

Engalnd Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Lee Hall, Mottram St Andrew, Macclesfield, Cheshire, England

Robert Hervey Head Married Male 49 1802 Merchant Manufactoring Chemist Scotland Transcription
Jane Hervey Wife Married Female 49 1802 Merchant's Wife Manchester, Lancashire, England Transcription
Violet Hervey Daughter Unmarried Female 15 1836 Merchant's Daur Manchester, Lancashire, England Transcription
Rosamond Hervey Daughter Unmarried Female 12 1839 Merchant's Daur Manchester, Lancashire, England Transcription
Emily Marshall Visitor Unmarried Female 25 1826 Merchant's Niece - Transcription
Emma Meyer Teacher Unmarried Female 38 1813 Teacher Germany Transcription
Ellen Clare Cook Unmarried Female 27 1824 Cook Warrington, Lancashire, England Transcription
Laura Thomas House Maid Unmarried Female 27 1824 House Maid Liverpool, Lancashire, England Transcription
Mary Mayers Maid Unmarried Female 21 1830 Maid Cheshire, England Transcription
Elizabeth Henshall Dairy Maid Unmarried Female 40 1811 Dairy Maid Wilmslow, Cheshire, England Transcription
Duncan Gillies Gardener Unmarried Male 28 1823 Gardener Scotland Transcription
Duncan Ferguson Farmer Unmarried Male 30 1821 Farmer Scotland Transcription
James Ward Servant Unmarried Male 21

So a well to do family. Maybe she was abroad at a finishing school

Those records won't be online

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 May 2016 21:58

What about this thread where you said she went to India?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1352474

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 May 2016 22:01

Back home by 1861

Scotland Census Transcription
H Coller House, Dale Brow, Prestbury, Macclesfield, Cheshire, England

Learn more

Print transcription View image Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Robert Harvey Head Married Male 59 1802 Merchant Scotland Transcription
Jane Harvey Wife Married Female 59 1802 Merchants Wife Manchester, Lancashire, England Transcription
Isabel Harvey Daughter Unmarried Female 27 1834 Merchants Daughter Manchester, Lancashire, England Transcription
Rosamond Harvey Daughter Unmarried Female 22 1839 Merchants Daughter Manchester, Lancashire, England Transcription
Emiline Besant Granddaughter - Female 1 1860 Merchants Granddaughter Hulme Walfield, Cheshire, England Transcription
Ann Ringsley Servant Unmarried Female 35 1826 Cook Liverpool, Lancashire, England Transcription
Elizabeth Ellison Servant Unmarried Female 45 1816 Laundress Warrington, Cheshire, England Transcription
Margaret Thornton Servant Unmarried Female 28 1833 Waiter Runcorn, Cheshire, England Transcription
Mary Rendall Servant Unmarried Female 22 1839 Housemaid - Transcription
Emma Lane Servant Unmarried Female 15

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 1 May 2016 22:05

MargaretM; she went to India much later in her life.

Yes, they were a wealthy family. Living in a glorious house about 30 miles from here. And then the later house, Collar House, was a lovely Italianate villa nearby.

It seems very unlikely that she was sent to finishing school. None of her sisters were and they were all very well educated at home. Strange.

Mary

Mary Report 1 May 2016 22:40

??
1851 36,Upper Parliament Street ? Toxteth Park Liverpool D1r >10
Isabella Henry (Could well be Hervey ) 17 1834 a pupil born Manchester.

Maryb.

safc

safc Report 1 May 2016 23:40

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
36, Upper Parliament Street, Toxteth Park Extra Parochial, West Derby, Lancashire, England

Learn more
Print transcription View image
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Rachael A Martineau Head Unmarried Female 50 1801 School Mistress Norwich, Norfolk, England
Transcription
Louisa Ellen Hutchins Visitor Unmarried Female 20 1831 - Ireland
Transcription
Jane Nobel Pilkington Lodger Unmarried Female 61 1790 - Bolton, Lancashire, England
Transcription
Alice E Winkworth Pupil Unmarried Female 17 1834 Scholar Manchester, Lancashire, England
Transcription
Isabella Hervey Pupil Unmarried Female 17 1834 Scholar Manchester, Lancashire, England xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Transcription
Katherine Hall Rowton Pupil Unmarried Female 15 1836 Scholar Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Transcription
Caroline Baget Pupil - Female 13 1838 Scholar Ruddington, Montgomeryshire, Wales
Transcription
Anne Jackson Pupil - Female 15 1836 Scholar Chatham, Kent, England
Transcription
Louisa Jackson Pupil - Female 13 1838 Scholar Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Transcription
Bertha Lees Pupil - Female 16 1835 Scholar Stalybridge, Lancashire, England
Transcription
Beatress A Smith Pupil - Female 16 1835 Scholar Cransford, Derbyshire, England
Transcription
Mary Hadgson Servant Unmarried Female 26 1825 General Servant Hawkshead Hill, Lancashire, England
Transcription
Jane Rylance Servant Unmarried Female 27 1824 General Servant Lathom, Lancashire, England
Transcription
Mary Hodgson Servant Unmarried Female 56 1795 General Serv Leeds, Yorkshire, England
Transcription
Elizabeth Harrocks Servant Unmarried Female 60 1791 General Servant Bolton, Lancashire, England
Transcription
Elizabeth Harrocks Servant Unmarried Female 15 1836 General Servant Bolton, Lancashire, England

could be mary

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 May 2016 09:08

Nicola......

The above Census Return was for "Ladies Seminary"......just in case you were wondering what she was doing in Toxteth Park...

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 2 May 2016 23:27

What a fantastic result! It all makes great sense. She was very well educated and wrote beautifully.
It's her who has written the 'Indian Journal' in 1889 which I am transcribing. See my post of that title.
Thank you so much for rooting around and finding her.
:-D :-D

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 2 May 2016 23:47

Hope that Mary, SAFC and my mate Eringobragh come back to this and see my grateful thanks on this one.
:-D :-D

safc

safc Report 2 May 2016 23:55

safc did

pleased mary found isabel hervey for you

:-)

Mary

Mary Report 3 May 2016 08:51

Thank you Nicola, It is nice to get a good result.

Maryb

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 3 May 2016 09:15

Nicola....I know your Hervey's et al better than I know my own, absolutely love how the stories unfold.......Long may it continue...!!
Just for interest relating to Isabel's education at the Liverpool Seminary run by Rachel Martineau.

" Mias Rachel Martineau, the eldest of Mr. James Martineau's sisters, for many years kept a hoarding-school at Liverpool^ which was, I think, about the most admirably managed of any schools I have ever known, both with regard to the thoroughness of the intellectual training imparted, and also the very wise care which Miss Martineau took of the health of her pupils, which was really a sanitary education for them. Several schools came under discussion, but it was finally arranged that Alice went to Miss Martineau's, where, besides the excellent general instruction, she had the advantage of lessons from Mr. Martineau himself, in Latin, mathematics, and history (afterwards from Mr. J. H. Button, during Mr. Martineau's absence in Germany)^ and of learning music from Mr. James Herrmann, the leader of the Liverpool Concerts.

There is lots to be found relating to the Martineau family..all appear to be writers and intellectuals the names Bronte/Gaskin and others all have associations with the Martineau's and especially to Rachel's sister Harriet...hers is a fascinating story....

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 3 May 2016 12:25

Thank you for the clip; where did you find it?

I had decided that the surname was mistranscribed and was more probably MARTINEAU. Then you confirm it.

We have in the family a lovely portrait painted of Isabel's sister in law MARY CLAYTON HERVEY, nee Law; she was the wife of Isabel's elder brother. It is painted by EDITH MARTINEAU, a talented and well known artist who is related to the above Rachel.

The world gets smaller and smaller ..................

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 3 May 2016 13:48

Interesting internet search reveals:-

http://www.dreamingspires.com/pdf/medici.pdf

Nicola

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 3 May 2016 14:10

Nicola...It comes from www.forgottenbooks.com.
Memorial of Two Sisters, Susan and Catherine Winkworth pages 71-72 ..they are obviously referring to Alice who was a pupil there same time as Isabell...(see 1851 Census)

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 3 May 2016 17:53

But how ON EARTH did you get to that link!! I am continually schamazed ...

At some point in the future, I will have to tackle Scotland censuses for my Hervey's. I've got them all back into the 1841 census in the UK and beyond, but will undoubtedly need good old GR to help me with Scotland - again.
:-D