Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Lynch McNair b 1909 & d 1985 Paisley Sct

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Coral

Coral Report 19 Aug 2015 10:32

Can anyone help with info on John Lynch McNair born about 1909 perhaps in Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

John's parents on his marriage certificate to Margarita Filomena Marie Bonini in 1938 in Barrhead, Renfrewshire were given as John McNair and Janet Chillock.

In 1943 Margarita married Adam Cunningham my great uncle in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland. She died in 1956 in Kilmarnock.

I have found a death index on Scotlandspeople for a John Lynch McNair died in 1985 in Paisley, Renfrewshire. The age is right and I am hoping to contact someone who may confirm I have the right John McNair.

Andrew

Andrew Report 19 Aug 2015 11:04

This brith on Scotlands people. Only entry in this name To see the detail you need to purchase credits.

1 1908 MCNAIR JOHN LYNCH M PAISLEY /RENFREW 573/01 2080

Andy

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Aug 2015 11:22

I can't see his parent's marriage anywhere.
John's birth cert will say where and when they married.

Or perhaps they weren't married.

This is the only marriage in Scotland of a John McNair to a Janet between 1880 and 1910:

1900 MCNAIR JOHN
BOOTH JANET ANN
ST GEORGE EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/01 0576

Coral

Coral Report 19 Aug 2015 12:18

Whoops! John's mothers name is CHITTOCK which could make a difference.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Aug 2015 12:41

There's only this marriage:

1906 SMITH CRAWFORD
CHITTOCK JANE PAISLEY /RENFREW 573/01 0152

Mother's surnames on birth certs are maiden surnames, so it could be her - but apparently not married to John McNair!

If it doesn't give a date and place of marriage on John junior's birth cert, then they weren't married.

Coral

Coral Report 19 Aug 2015 14:51

Have just checked out John's birth certificate. Born 6 October 1908 at Calside, Paisley.

His parents were John McNair & Jane Chittock married 9 March 1906 at Paisley.

Is there anyway I can check out divorces in Scotland between 1938-1943? John & Margarita were married in a Catholic Church and I think it would be pretty difficult to get divorced around that time. She did remarry in 1943.

Gee

Gee Report 19 Aug 2015 15:03

is this her

Name:Jane Chittock

Estimated birth year:abt 1892

Relationship:Inmate

Where born:Paisley, Renfrewshire

Registration Number:573/1

Registration district:Paisley

Civil Parish:Paisley

County:Renfrewshire

Address:Craw Road, Paisley

ED:Craw Road Poorhouse and Lunatic Asylum

Household schedule number:1

LINE:22

Roll:CSSCT1901_210

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Aug 2015 17:31

If John and Jane did actually marry in 1906, that can't be her in 1911 census, as she would only have been 14 at marriage.

EDIT: - silly me, the census is 1901!

But there's no record of their marriage on ScotlandsPeople.
The only marriage of a Chittock in 1906 in Paisley is the one I've posted above, to Crawford Smith.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Aug 2015 17:40

Aha! I've just used some credits to look at the Smith/Chittock marriage cert.
The transcription is wrong!

Crawford Smith actually married Elizabeth McNab Wallace.

Searching for Elizabeth's marriage doesn't produce any results.
Searching for Crawford Smith's marriage brings up both the correct record, and the wrong one.

BUT searching for a marriage for John McNair, without entering anything for bride's name (I had previously searched for a marriage to Jane/Janet) brings up this:

1906 MCNAIR JOHN CHITTIOK JANE PAISLEY /RENFREW 573/01 0154

Credits on SP will let you see details of their ages and occupations, and their parents' names.

Gee

Gee Report 19 Aug 2015 18:00

AGran the census is 1901

That marriage is a great find

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Aug 2015 22:05

Thanks for the correction, Gins - my dodgy arithmetic again!

(Not to mention the logical fact that if it had been 1911, her name would have been McNair!)

Coral

Coral Report 28 Aug 2015 04:05

Thanks to you both for your information.

The 1906 marriage was the right one. Found Jane's birth certificate born 28 November 1886 (Illegitimate). She was registered as Jane Chittick or McKee. Mother Mary Chittick and father Hugh McKee although it stated that he died August 1884.

Fairly certain I found her on the 1891 Census as Jeanie McKee

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Williamsburgh, Abbey, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland

Mary McKee Boarder Widow Female 43 1848 Agricultural Worker Abbey, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Jeannie McKee Boarder - Female 5 1886 - Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland

The McNair family lived in Paisley for a long time. I was able to go back using Census information to a Daniel McNair b 1798.

If anyone knows what happened to John Lynch McNair after his divorce from Margarita Bonini between 1939-1943 I'd love to hear from you.