Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Henry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JeanetteB

JeanetteB Report 26 Apr 2015 02:17

I am trying to find details of John Henry, born in Co Sligo Ireland in 1862. He is the brother of my Grandfather James Henry. I believe John came to England, possibly Durham sometime before 1900. He probably worked in the Coal Mines. I believe he may have lived around the Langley Park or Bearpark area. I cannot find him on the 1901 or 1911 census. I believe he died in the 1950's ??
My Grandfather James his wife Mary Ellen and his daughter Mary Ellen lived in Bedlington. Northumberland. My Grandfather James Henry did not appear on the 1901 Census but his wife and daughter did. They lived at 34 Back Clayton Street
Sleekburn Bedlington Morpeth would appreciate help with details of John in particular regarding his life, marriage, death etc and any idea why James does not appear on the census. Thanks. Jeanette

Mike *

Mike * Report 26 Apr 2015 02:47

It might help if you post the 1901 census you refer to.

When was James born ?

Who were the parents of James and John ?

Is this John's death ?

Deaths Mar 1948
Henry John - 86- Durham W. 1a 744

or did he die in Ireland ?

Details on his death certificate might have clues to wife/family

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 26 Apr 2015 09:02

Is this 1901 you refer to?

Name: Mary Ellen Henry
[Mary Ellen Rielly]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
Relation to Head: Daughter (Child)
Father: John Rielly
Birth Place: Ireland
Civil Parish: Bedlington
Ecclesiastical parish: St Cuthbert
Town: Sleckburn
County/Island: Northumberland
Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: Morpeth
Sub-registration district: Bedlington
ED, institution, or vessel: 08
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 4833
Folio: 153
Page Number: 7
Household schedule number: 44
Household Members:
Name Age
John Rielly 50
Mary Ellen Henry 24
James Rielly 21
Mary Ellen Henry 11/12

Jude

Gee

Gee Report 26 Apr 2015 09:18

Related thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1322588?page=1

JeanetteB

JeanetteB Report 26 Apr 2015 10:33

The census I looked at were the 1901 and 1911 census for England Wales and Scotland
James was born in 1872 and John in 1862 in Ross Skreen Co Sligo Ireland.
| have found records relating to this.
The Parents of James and John were Patrick Henry and Ellen Henry nee (Mullowney) I am not sure if that is the date of John's death. I am in touch with a Granddaughter of his and she thinks it may be 1952/1953.
James Henry and Mary Ellen Reilly married in Skreen Co Sligo in 1900 and came to
England where they lived until c1908 in the Durham/Northumberland area.
John is the mystery?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 26 Apr 2015 12:30

You say that you're in touch with a grandaughter of John? What's the name of John's child from whom she descends?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Apr 2015 12:42

What was John's wife's name? and his child/children?

JeanetteB

JeanetteB Report 26 Apr 2015 12:57

Johns daughter was Mary Ann Barker (nee Henry) D>O>B June 1915
She died in 08/01/1992 place : D'Arcy street Langley Park, No. 9
Thanks

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Apr 2015 13:14

So what was her mother's name ,please?

Which of these is Mary Ann's birth? Is it the one in Durham??

Births Jun 1915 (>99%)
Henry Mary Burgess Neath 11a 2048

Births Sep 1915 (>99%)
Henry Mary A Carroll Durham 10a 743
Henry Mary A McGivern W Derby 8b 896

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Apr 2015 13:16

Is this John's marriage? (Unfortunately, it's too late to help us with censuses.)

Marriages Jun 1913 (>99%)
Carroll Mary Henry Durham 10a 746
Henry John Carroll Durham 10a 746

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 26 Apr 2015 13:46

Did daughter Mary Ann have any siblings? Hopefully older ones that might help locate the family in 1911.

If John married in 1913 he would have been over 50, a little late to start a family.

JeanetteB

JeanetteB Report 26 Apr 2015 19:03

It looks like it was the birth in Jun 1915. I rec. a short birth cert. from her granddaughter (Kathleen Ryans (nee Barker). I have just found her.
According to the cert:
Name Mary Ann Henry
D>O>B 17 June 1915
Reg.District Durham
Sub District Brandon
Her mothers name does not appear on this cert.
I believe she had at least two sisters, I don't know their name but I will try and find out.
Regards Jeanette

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 26 Apr 2015 23:17

Mary Ann's birth with mother's maiden name Carrol:

Births Sep 1915 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Henry Mary A Carroll Durham 10a 743

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 26 Apr 2015 23:21

Siblings?

Births Jun 1918 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Henry Margaret Carroll Durham 10a 742

Births Sep 1920 (>99%)

Henry Winifred Carroll Durham 10a 931

Births Jun 1922 (>99%)

Henry John Carroll Durham 10a 820

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Apr 2015 11:09

I think it would be worth getting that 1948 death cert, posted earlier by Mike.

I know you think he died later than that, Jeanette, but unless he moved away from the Durham area, that's the only death which matches his YOB.
There's nothing that looks likely in the 1950's.

I'll post it again here to save people searching all the posts:

John Henry
in the England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007

Name: John Henry
Birth Date: abt 1862
Date of Registration: Mar 1948
Age at Death: 86
Registration district: Durham Western
Inferred County: Durham
Volume: 1a
Page: 744

alviegal

alviegal Report 27 Apr 2015 17:27

I assume this is the family in Ireland. I was wondering if they had returned home but obviously not.

Residents of a house 4 in Ross (Skreen, Sligo) 1911
Show all information
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Henry Patrick 75 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Sligo Farmer Cannot Read nor write Irish and English Widower - - 7 5
Henry Peter 35 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Sligo Farmers Son Read and write English Only Single - - - -
Henry Richard 34 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Sligo Farmers Son Read and write - Single - - - -
Farry Margret 45 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Sligo Farmers Daughter Read and write - Married - 18 - -
Mulloney Catherine 75 Female Lodger Roman Catholic Co Sligo - Read and write - Single - - - -

Residents of a house 5 in Ross (Skreen, Sligo) 1901
Show all information
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Henry Pat 65 Male Head of Family R Catholic Co Sligo Farmer Cannot read Irish and English Widower -
Farry Margaret 35 Female Daughter R Catholic Co Sligo Farmers Daughter Read and write English Married -
Henry Peter 30 Male Son R Catholic Co Sligo Farmers Son Read and write English Not Married -
Henry Richard 28 Male Son R Catholic Co Sligo Farmers Son Read and write English Not Married -
Report any error in transcription

JeanetteB

JeanetteB Report 28 Apr 2015 09:44

Thank you all, I will apply for the death cert (1948) and go from there. I will advise you when I receive it.