Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

william carroll

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 16 Jul 2014 23:08

Can anyone help find who married William Carroll who was on the 1911 census living in colne aged 42. His wife was then Sarah Jane approx ten years younger. Sarah Jane it says..was born in skipton . William it says was born in ramsbottom...but for dates suggested I have been unable to find Williams birth or marriage. It also says on census that William and Sarah married 14 years previously..1897..but have been unable to find a marriage.can anyone help? :-)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Jul 2014 23:28

Have you found them on 1901 census ?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Jul 2014 23:30

Have you ruled out the possible marriage in 1898 in Middlesborough reg district

Shirley

Shirley Report 16 Jul 2014 23:45

Well I've not found definate on 1901...maybe the couple in Newton heath. Children supposedly born in todmorden and skipton..ending up in colne. Just can't find marriage..wondering if they even got married. One of children.Bernard, born 1909, in burnley area..had mother's maiden name supposedly Preston so possibly Sarah Jane's maiden name Preston...if Sarah is his mum. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jul 2014 04:22

for our information and reference ............

1911 Census

Name: William Carroll
Age in 1911: 42
Estimated birth year: abt 1869
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Ramsbotton, Lancashire, England
Civil Parish: Colne
County/Island: Lancashire
Street address: 5 King Street Colne Lanc
Marital Status: Married
Registration district: Burnley
Registration District Number: 472
Sub-registration district: Colne

William Carroll 42 Cotton Weaver
Sarah Jane Carroll 33 b.ca 1878, Shipton, Yorkshire
Sarah Jane Carroll 11 b.ca 1900, Skipton
Clara Carroll 8 b.ca 1903, Todmorden, Lancashire
Bernard Carroll 2 b.ca 1909, Colne
James Carroll 2/12 b.ca 1911, Colne

form the image

Married 14 years

8 children born, 4 children died, 4 children still living

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jul 2014 04:28

Births Mar 1900 (>99%)
Carroll Sarah Jane Skipton 9a 48

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jul 2014 04:34

now, this is really really weird

I could not find Sarah Jane Carroll b. ca 1900 on the 1901 Census

BUT ........ searching for Sarah Jane, b. ca 1900, Skipton, gave me the following ..........

????????????????????

1901 Census

Name: Sarah Jane Willis
Estimated birth year: abt 1900
Relation to Head: Daughter
Father: William Willis
Mother: Sarah Jane Willis
Birth Place: Skipton, Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Burnley
Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter
County/Island: Lancashire

Registration district: Burnley
Sub-registration district: East Ward

William Willis 28 b.ca 1873, Sumnerscat, Lancashire, Cotton Weaver <<<< I cannot decipher this place name!
Sarah Jane Willis 24 b.ca 1877, Skipton, Yorkshire, Cotton Weaver
Sarah Jane Willis 1

Address:- 7 Croft Street

Only 1 Sarah Jane born ca 1900, Skipton on the 1911, and only 1 on the 1901

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jul 2014 04:46

This registration fits with the information about Clara on the 1911 Census

Births Jun 1903 (>99%)

Willis Clara Todmorden 9a 222

This is probably Bernard's birth registration ................. Burnley is the Registration District that includes Colne

Births Mar 1909 (>99%)

CARROLL Bernard Burnley 8e 263

and James' .......... is probably one of these two .........

Births Mar 1911 (>99%)

Carroll James Burnley 8e 186
Carroll James Burnley 8e 253

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jul 2014 04:59

:-D :-D

from the 1901 Census .....

William Willis 28 b.ca 1873, Sumnerscat, Lancashire, Cotton Weaver <<<< I cannot decipher this place name!

I googled, and found ................

Summerseat is a village in the Ramsbottom district of the Metropolitan Borough of Bury, Greater Manchester, England. It lies in the Irwell Valley, on the course of the River Irwell to the north of Bury, along the course of the M66 motorway.

and William Carroll said he was born in Ramsbottom

why change their surname?????????????????

who knows!!!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jul 2014 05:09

BINGO!

1891 Census

Name: Sarah Jane Carroll
Estimated birth year: abt 1877
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Brian Carroll
Mother's name: Bridget Carroll
Where born: Skipton, Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Skipton
Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch
Town: Skipton
County/Island: Yorkshire

Registration district: Skipton
Sub-registration district: Skipton

Brian Carroll 50 b.ca 1841, Ireland, Plasterer
Bridget Carroll 45 b.ca 1846, Ireland
Patrick Carroll 25 b.ca 1866, Ireland, General Labourer
Bernard Carroll 20 b.ca 1871, Skipton, Plasterer
Mary Ann Carroll 18 b.ca 1873, Skipton, Cotton Weaver
John Carroll 16 b.ca 1875, Skipton, General Labourer
Sarah Jane Carroll 14 Cotton Weaver

Address:- 7 Club Houses

a Public Family Tree on ancestry has the following information, which may or may not be accurate!

Brian Carroll
Birth 1841 in Sligo, Ireland
Death Mar 1900 in Skipton, Yorkshire, England

Bridget Brisbain
Birth 1846 in Sligo, Ireland
Death 1893 in Skipton, Yorkshire, England

Flip

Flip Report 17 Jul 2014 07:04

Lancs bmd has births for Bernard & James Carroll in Colne - both giving mmn Preston. It also has 3 later children born Colne with same mmn:
Margaret 1912, Stephen William 1915 & John 1917.

Strange, but Clara appears to have been registered in 1903 Todmorden under the name Willis.

I can't see a birth for William Carroll or Willis in Bury (reg district for Ramsbottom), but his age is dubious if that 1901 census is the correct family.

I wonder if it is a red herring - maybe these are 2 different Williams and Sarah married Wm Carroll (or was living with him) - there is quite a gap between Clara & Bernard.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jul 2014 07:27

Fkip

I saw those Lancs bmd births .....................

but can you find a Carroll - Preston marriage?

I think buying a couple of birth certificates might be helpful ............ and the only way to solve the problem!

Flip

Flip Report 17 Jul 2014 07:48

No, can't see a Carroll/Preston marriage Sylvia. However,it looks like Sarah Jane Carroll dies in Colne in 1950. There's a death for William in Colne 1946 but the age (64) is way out.

Bernard looks to have married Mary Myers in 1933, and dies in Colne 22/11/1954 at Burnley hospital. Probate was granted to his widow Mary - they lived 18 Earl St Colne.

Shirley

Shirley Report 17 Jul 2014 08:32

Hi everyone..Thankyou. I am going to follow up the Willis connection..though not sure like you say why the name change. Weird. Those on the 1901 don't think are them..the other Carroll's. You could have found the answer Sylvia with that Willis family. A birth certificate for Bernard may help.
Thanks again :-)

Flip

Flip Report 17 Jul 2014 08:41

Going back to the 1891 census, it gets stranger:

There is a birth for Bernard in 1870, Mary Ann 1872 & John 1874, registered as Carrol in Skipton. But not one for Sarah Jane - although there is a birth in 1878 under the name Willis!

Flip

Flip Report 17 Jul 2014 09:00

I can't find a death for Sarah Jane Willis, born 1878 Skipton - nor can I find her on 1881/91 census? The first sighting of someone of this name is the 1901 census with William.

Shirley

Shirley Report 17 Jul 2014 09:39

May be losing it..but those 1901 skipton Carroll's..there is no William..did you mean that Sarah had the name Carroll as her maiden nAME,,,? Think I've lost it somewhere. Confused :-( well done for finding the possible Willis connection. It is a weird one. I can't understand the Preston part either. :-( will get back to you if I find any more info. :-)

Flip

Flip Report 17 Jul 2014 10:22

You're not on your own Shirley, think I'm loosing it too!. There just isn't a birth in Skipton for either Sarah Jane Carroll or Preston, but is one for Willis. There isn't a birth for daughter Sarah Jane Willis, but there is for Carroll.

It's highly likely the 1901 census (for Willis) and 1911 for Carroll are the same family - birth places are too similar, and Summerseat is definitely in Ramsbottom - MiL used to live there.

There is no birth for William Willis or Carroll registered in the right area of Bury which would cover this district, but his age varies between 1869 and 1873 on the two census records.

Maybe an earlier birth certificate for Sarah Jane Carroll or Clara Willis would prove more useful than Bernard's - as we know his mmn is Preston from Lancashire bmd and he is the only one born in Lancashire in the right time frame.

Flip

Flip Report 17 Jul 2014 14:49

I think what I'm getting at (and I think Sylvia is too) is both surnames Carroll & Willis seem to be connected to Sarah Jane, but not William.

Were they dodging the authorities for some reason, who knows? But I've no idea where the Preston name comes from.............

Shirley

Shirley Report 18 Jul 2014 00:00

Hi to you again
I think you are right, probably need to get Clara,s birth certificate to solve the problem..Will have s chat with the lady in question tomorrow and see what she says. Thanks for your hard work..without you two would never have discovered the Willis connection. :-)