Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

worthing England 1918 Nursing Homes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jul 2014 07:58

Aloha my fellow Genes Reunited Crew!
I am trying to find out any information about Nursing homes in worthing in 1918. My Grandmother was born in Worthing on March 4 1918 at a nursing home (not a hospital?) any information on how I can find a place online (since I am far away and only have the luxury of the internet for me to use)
Mahalo Nui Loa!
"Thank You Very Much!"
Stuart

Pauline

Pauline Report 9 Jul 2014 08:46

Grandmothers name would help? Also any other info you may have.
Babies where born at home mostly in those days, or if you could afford it in a private nursing home. I dought that the place is still there now, the NHS came in in 1947 that is when things chenged in Uk. I gues you are in NZ ?

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 9 Jul 2014 08:57

The name of the nursing home should be on the birth cert, or at least its address

you could google the address

Andrew

Andrew Report 9 Jul 2014 09:01

Its possible she was born at the Infirmary at local the workhouse, which was the only free healthcare available at the time.
Andy

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 9 Jul 2014 09:48

Stuart says the birth was in a nursing home

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jul 2014 02:29

aloha again! Stuart here!
My grandmothers name was Mary Smeeth (this is her adopted name)
Her father was a officer in the Royal Navy but was killed during the First World War, I know that he died after march 4 1918 as this was Grandma's birthday and she herself had told me that she had seen a letter from her father that said he was looking forward to seeing his little girl when he came on leave(since he knew that he had daughter I think that it could have only been after she was born)
Her mother was an aupair in the house and was spanish, and her father was the son of the house. Grandma was adopted by the Smeeth ,they were paid $500 pounds to adopt grandma at 8 days old. I know that she was born in Worthing on March 4 1918, this is about all I have so far (not much, right!) I have always wanted to find out who my great grandparents were (esp for my Grandmother who was so good to me growing up :-) If anyone out there has any ideas or knowledge about how I can go about with my quest, it would be very helpful!
Thank You in Advance!
Stuart

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Jul 2014 04:59

did the Smeeths also live in Worthing?

Did they give your grandmother the name Mary?

Her birth should have been registered under her mother's name ..................... but if "Mary" was not her birth name, then we have a major problem finding her birth registration!

Legal adoption did not come in in England and Wales until mid-1927. Adoptions before then were ad hoc ......................... and there are very few records to be found.

Did she marry? If so, do you have her marriage certificate? If so, what does it say on there?

I've been looking for a "Mary" or "female" born in Worthing in the March and June quarters of 1918 with no success, and I'm just wondering if she was given the wrong birth date

My own grandfather told us all that he was born on December 25 1885 ....................... it was not until after his death in 1963 that we discovered his birth certificate. He was born on January 9 1896

For some reason, his parents had told him the wrong date. Maybe so they could escape buying him both a Christmas and a birthday present so close together.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Jul 2014 05:05

Do you know anything about the Smeeths???

for example, their names?

Marriages Mar 1910 (>99%)
GORMAN Alan Holborn 1b 959 Postem available - click on Info button

SMEETH James Goode Holborn 1b 959

Clicking on the Postem shows that this entry should be GORMAN, ALICE

This is followed by the following birth registration, 1 year earlier than you say ...........................

Births Mar 1917 (>99%)

Smeeth Mary H Gorman Shoreditch 1c 30

EDIT ...................................

NO, NO, NO

IGNORE

Mary H Smeeth died June quarter 1918, registered Shoreditch

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 24 Jul 2014 08:28

can you tell us how you know that the birth was in a nursing home?

Only the birth cert will have the address of the birthplace, and you give no indication that you have the cert, or even know the birth name of the baby

You could try looking for a possible birth

Go to freebmd and look at all births in east preston district for the first two qtrs. of 1918, and see if one has what appears to be a Spanish MMN.