Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mordecai Nutman (c1717-1760)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 17 Apr 2014 23:12

The earliest record I have found for Mordecai Nutman (he signed Nutman, but it is also recorded as Nuttman) is Nov 1748 when he paid 12s to the Overseer of Southchurch, Essex. His marriage Licence of 1 Mar 1752 gives his age as 35 and that he was a widower of the parish of Southchurch. He was buried at Southchurch on 4 Jul 1760, leaving wife Mary (nee Drain/Drane), a son Mordecai (bap 25 Mar 1753 S'church) and daughter Mary (bap 6 Feb 1759 S'church). Mordecai & Mary also buried daughters Mary (7 Nov 1755) & Hannah (bap 12 Jan 1757, bur 6 Apr 1760).
Please, has anyone found a baptism or earlier marriage for him?
I have found a Mordecai who was younger in Barking and another, son of Thomas & Mary bap Belchamp Otten in 1705, so about 12 years older, who may be the one who appears in Cavendish, Suffolk, from 1723 to his burial there 27 Jun 1765.
Heather

Mike *

Mike * Report 17 Apr 2014 23:35

This tree has his parents named but no sources for the info

Name:
Mordecai Nuttman

Birth: C1720 - Essex, England
Death: C1760 - Southchurch, Essex, England
Marriage: 1752 - Langford, Essex, England
Parents: Mordecai Notman, Johanna (Joan) Elver
Spouse: Mary Drane

Mike *

Mike * Report 17 Apr 2014 23:46

Is this the child of his and his first wife ?

Name: John Nutman

Christening Date: 14 Sep 1735
Christening Place: CAVENDISH,SUFFOLK,ENGLAND
:
Father's Name: Mordicai Nutman

Mother's Name: Mary

Heather

Heather Report 18 Apr 2014 00:23

Wow! Thank you for such a quick reply. This is what I have already found out about the two you mention:

29 Nov 1692 Mordecai Notman s Mordecai & Johannah was bap Whitchapel. Because he is 25 years too early I haven't checked for any more on this Mordecai NOTMAN.

The Mordecai & Mary Nutman in Cavendish start with son John Bap 1724, followed by others every few years until 1735, Mordecai was buried 1763, & Mary Nutman, widow, in 1768. It is quite possible that they are my Mordecai's parents as they did not marry in Cavendish, nor have a child baptised Mordecai there.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 18 Apr 2014 07:32

30 July 1760
Will of Mordecai Nutman of Southchurch, yeoman

http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/

Chris :)

Fire Insurance Policy Register, 1777-1786
mordecai
Surname
nuthman
Occupation/Status
potash maker
southchurch
essex

http://www.londonlives.org/browse.jsp?div=fire_1775_1780_556_55686

(the Son?)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Apr 2014 10:35

?????????/

Name: Mordecai Nutman
Burial Date: 06 Jun 1803
Burial Place: Southchurch, Essex, England
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I04646-5
System Origin: England-EASy
GS Film number: 1702587
Reference ID: Item 8

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Apr 2014 10:37

Name: Mordecai Nutman
Christening Date: 12 Dec 1796
Christening Place: Southchurch, Essex, England
Father's Name: Mordecai Nutman
Mother's Name: Judith Nutman
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I04646-5
System Origin: England-EASy
GS Film number: 1702587
Reference ID: Item 8

Heather

Heather Report 18 Apr 2014 14:13

Thanks - I have the will of 1760, tells you he died 2 Jul 1760, his wife Mary proved it on 30 Jul, the other Executor, Thomas Carr, didn't swear to administer until 8 Jun 1761. Only son Mordecai (to inherit real estate when 21) and daughter Mary (£120 when 21), Wife Mary and friend Thomas Carr (Guardians & Executors) mentioned.
Mary remarried 1762 a Matthew Salmon in Prittlewell, he was buried 14 Nov 1762 at Southchurch and Mary Salmon, widow, of Southchurch then married Thomas Carr, Farmer of Shopland Hall by licence on 23 Mar 1762, at Shopland - presumably the same Thomas Carr that was Mordecai's friend.

The Fire Insurance Policy was new to me, but that would be his son. Mordecai Nuttman jr (1753-1803) who appears on the Southchurch Overseers book paying rent on Samuells (a farm pulled down in the early 1960s) from Easter 1778, shortly before marrying Judith Kennett (1759-1841) at N Shoebury.
[He signs his name as Nuttman, though it often appears as Nutman]

I wonder if it is worth following the land. Bobhurst, a Messuage and 16 acres of land, heriotable, was surrendered to Mordecai Nutman sr by William Hurrell of London, cornfactor on 15 Nov 1750 (abstract from Southchurch Manorial Records)
There is also an unexecuted surrender dated 20 Jun 1751 for Bobhurst, but this time it was from Jeremiah Hurrell, eldest son and heir of Henry Hurrell deceased to Mordecai Nutman of South Church, yeoman (Abstract - Essex Record Office – D/DMq M27/5)

I found that there were Nutmans and Hurrells, brickmakers, at West Bergholt. The first Nutman entry being 1725 the bap of Benjamin s Ben Nutman. This leaves the possibility that Mordecai is an earlier son of Benjamin Nutman, again I have no marriage for Benjamin and wife Margaret. Another son, George (bap 1733) married Mary Hurrell in 1754 (both at West Bergholt). I haven't done any research on the Hurrell families.

The earliest Nutman I have found in Essex is Thomas Nutman, yeoman, and Chief Constable for Hinckford Hundred, was having children baptised at Gestingthorpe from 1648-1660, the family then moved to Belchamp Otten. It would seem that the Nutmans came from Suffolk, where I have found plenty of earlier entries, the earliest being William Nutman who had been steward of Sudbury College for 7 years in 1520 (British History online - 'Colleges: Sudbury', A History of the County of Suffolk: Volume 2 (1975), pp. 150-152.)

Maybe they hopped the channel and I should be looking in the Netherlands