Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Phillip Phillips 1787 St James London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

cozynook

cozynook Report 23 Mar 2012 18:04

Hello '

I'm having the utmost difficulty finding more information about this g/man ..
Born 1787 St James London - parents uknown - married a Jane ( British Subject ) Ris Janeirs - Rio Janeiro Brazil .
Daughter born supposidly on census 1843 also Ris Janeirs ...

There is no trace of them until the 1861 census ' then found living in Sunderland .. Co Durham .

The census has Phillip as a watchmaker ' also there is a Jewish connection possibly , handed down info in family .

Has anyone any idea or suggestions as to my gaining any further trace of him or parents or siblings ..... I haven't after some years of searching been able to find more information ... Why would they have been in Brazil ...... Help needed so much ' i'm heading towards my 80's time is running out - so are my eyes ' extra eyes would maybe find what i may have been missing for a long time ....

Thank you . :-) <3

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Mar 2012 18:55

Do you believe Sophia to be his daughter? Just looking at age difference between him and his wife:

1861 England Census

Name: Sophia Phillips
[Sophia Lydia Phillips]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Phillip Phillips
Mother's Name: Jane Phillips
Where born: Ris Janeirs, United States
[Ris Janeirs, South America]

Civil parish: Sunderland
Ecclesiastical parish: Sunderland
County/Island: Durham

Registration district: Sunderland
Sub-registration district: East Sunderland
ED, institution, or vessel: 4

Phillip Phillips 73
Jane Phillips 45
Sophia Phillips 18

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Mar 2012 18:59

Not sure if this is just a red herring - birthplace completely wrong obviously! - but this Phillip is a watchmaker:

1851 England Census

Name: Phillip Phillips
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1796
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Rebecca Phillips
Where born: Amsterdam

Civil parish: St Botolph Aldgate
County/Island: Middlesex

Registration district: East London
Sub-registration district: St Botolph
ED, institution, or vessel: 1d

Phillip Phillips 55
Rebecca Phillips 60

Ivy

Ivy Report 23 Mar 2012 20:55

It is possible that he had married a widow on her return to the UK, and that Sophia is not his daughter, as Jan suggested.

If this is the entry for Sophia for 1871:

Name: Sophia Brown
[Sophia Lydia Brown]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: William Brown
Where born: Ris Janeirs, Brazil, South America
[London, England]
Civil parish: Bishop Wearmouth
Ecclesiastical parish: St Thomas
Town: Sunderland
County/Island: Durham
Registration district: Sunderland
Sub-registration district: South Bishop Wearmouth
ED, institution, or vessel: 17
Household schedule number: 93
Piece: 5010
Folio: 98
Page Number: 19
Household Members:
Name Age
William Brown 28
Sophia Brown 27
Margaret Pearson 19
Esther Fishburn 19

then this would probably be the marriage registration:

Jan-Feb-Mar 1865 Sunderland Durham

William Holdridge Brown <<<<<
Joseph Moore
Sophia Phillips <<<<<<<<<<<<
Dorothy Wardle

and the certificate would perhaps confirm whether or not he is Sophia's father.

If you have the certificate, could you provide other details (eg father's occupation, witness names etc)?

Ivy

Ivy Report 23 Mar 2012 21:00

Meanwhile, there is this document that relates to a London resident family of watchmakers (Admission to Freedom of the City of London):

Name: Philip Phillips (watchmaker)
Admission Date: 25 Oct 1856
Father's Name: Lewis Phillips (watchmaker)

and Pigot's directory for London 1825-26 at column 703 (image 270 of 531) lists a Philip Philips, watchmaker, living in London.

Ivy

Ivy Report 23 Mar 2012 21:01

Would this be the registration of his death? Do you hold the death certificate? Does it provide any further information?

Philip Phillips
born abt 1787
death registered in Oct-Nov-Dec quarter of 1867
in registration district Sunderland, Durham

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 23 Mar 2012 21:13

Joyce has this answer from her thread on Ancestry from Jan 2010.

- No positive news at all for you - I do not have these people in my batabase of "Brits in Brazil". But in particular I can confirm that there were no Phillips marriages at the British church in Rio de Janeiro in the decade before 1843, neither does Sophia appear in the baptismal register between 1843 and 1855. -

and - I do have cerificates of the marriage of his daughter Sophia to my mam's grandad William Holdridge Brown Sunderland Co Durham England 1865 .Prior to this they do not appear to be on any earlier census neither 1841 or 1851. -

I would say there were in Brazil definitely for 1841 census as Sophia born c1843.

Is there anything in newspapers about his death in newspapers of the day?

Ozi

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Apr 2012 13:30

PM from Joyce - have advised her to post on here rather than sending messages:

Subject: Phillip Phillips

Hello Jan ' many apologies for the late reply to your answer about my Phillip Phillips ..

I have the marriage cert of Sophia Lydia which states Phillip was her father ' she was married in Sunderland .
I have wondered myself if perhape Phillip may have been married wife died then remarried . There is such an age difference between him and his wife Jane .

I have puzzled and puzzled over this part of my mam's family line and still not found any thing what so ever ..

Would it be perhaps because there is the mention of Jewish connection ' do you think i ought to be looking for information around places such as Synagogues ? and if so where would i start ?

I don't think the other Phillip with wife Rebecca is connected - i will search in the census and see if i can find more info on them see if anything does turn up , but doubtful i feel .

Thank you for your reply , appreciated very much .

Joyce .

Ivy

Ivy Report 1 Apr 2012 18:46

PM from Joyce, who is happy for me to post her reply:

"The information you attached to your reply to my post was correct . The marriage of Sophia to William Holdridge Brown 1865 Sunderland .
It gives witnesses as Joseph Armstrong - Margaret Donaldson .

Phillip Phillips is down as father Watch Maker
Joseph Brown father dec Mariner
Sophia was living at 1 Little Villiers Street Bishopwearmouth
Marriage at Sunderland Register Office 1 Feb 1865 "

Ivy

Ivy Report 1 Apr 2012 18:49

It is interesting that Sophia married at the registry office, and this might add weight to Joyce's family belief that there is a Jewish origin to this family?

Does anyone know how to use this website?

http://www.jewishgen.org/

cozynook

cozynook Report 17 Apr 2012 00:03

Hello Ivy ,
Many thanks for your reply to my enquiries ... Apologies also for the vey late acknowledgement ..

Had a bad few weeks since March ' suffer from spinal prob's nd disabled , just about getting myself back to family researching and Genes Reunited .

It seems you also possibly think there may be something re The Jewish connection , going by your message above .

I am going to get my head into the website mentioned - maybe get somewhere on there .. Will post a message to all the great people who have helped with my query if i come up trumps with any thing .

Thank you Ivy and all ....

Joyce . :-)