Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charles Broughton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 28 Sep 2011 01:01

Hi All,

I am looking for the death of my ancestor Charles Broughton. He was born in 1827 in Frieston, Lincolnshire, married Anne Richardson in 1851 and had numerous children over the next fifteen or so years. He settled it seems in Skelton, near Guisborough, North Yorkshire.

He appears in the 1871 census, and appears also in several local newspaper articles for being drunk and riotous and for applying to represent the community in local elections.

I would like to find a death for him and his wife Anne who was born c. 1826 in Sticksfoot, Lincolnshire.

Can someone help? I can see no sign of them on FREEBMD.

Thanks,

Peter

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 28 Sep 2011 01:23

??

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1915 about Charles Broughton
Name: Charles Broughton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1822
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1874
Age at Death: 52
Registration district: Hemsworth
Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
Volume: 9c
Page: 86 (click to see others on page)

jax

jax Report 28 Sep 2011 01:23

??

Deaths Sep 1874 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BROUGHTON Charles 52 Hemsworth 9c 86

jax

jax Report 28 Sep 2011 01:29

Probate Date: 26 Sep 1874
Death Date: 2 Sep 1874
Death Place: Yorkshire, England
Registry: Wakefield

widow is a Judith and he was a music teacher

jax

jax Report 28 Sep 2011 01:39

There is also a tree on ancestry that says he died in Canada??? with a wife called Lucy

Obviously not the same man but same year of birth and place

jax

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 28 Sep 2011 01:40

???? Can't find him on 1881 census though !!

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1915
about Charles Broughton

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1827
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1889
Age at Death: 62
Registration district: Lincoln
Inferred County: Lincolnshire
Volume: 7a
Page: 339

Peter

Peter Report 28 Sep 2011 13:05

Yeah it is confusing! I have looked and look but can't find anything! He also had a brother James Broughton born c. 1836 and a brother George born c. 1843, both in Freiston, Lincolnshire. I also can see no trace of these two also.

I did find this on ancestry but obviously he would have had to return to England. This shows a George Broughton born c. 1845. Oh, I don't know. What do others think?

Name: Chas Broughton
Arrival Date: 21 Apr 1857
Birth Year: abt 1829
Ethnicity/RaceĀ­/Nationality: British (English)
Place of Origin: Great Britain
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: City of Washington
Search Ship Database: Search the City of Washington in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

View
Original
Record

View Passenger List

Source Citation: Year: 1857; Arrival: New York , United States; Microfilm Serial: M237; Microfilm Roll: M237_172; Line: 9; List Number: 363; .

Peter

Peter Report 28 Sep 2011 13:07

Jax, I suppose Ann may of died and Charles emmigrated to Canada and remarried? What parents are listed for Charles?

I have James Broughton and Susanna Carter.

jax

jax Report 28 Sep 2011 13:18

There are a couple of trees and they have the same parents you have

jax

The oldest child was born 1869 but there may have been an older one...no date given

This is a comment about his death in 1914

Age at death given as 82 years on tombstone and death certificate. Certificate information provided by son, Charles H. Broughton, also indicates date of birth was not known, name of father was James Broughton. Birth date, Christening date, parents from Bishop's Transcripts. Age given as 14 in the 1841 census for Freiston.

The father James is also listed as coming to Canada wife stayed behind

James the brother is listed with a death in 1922 but it does not say where and George also went to canada and died there in 1930

Peter

Peter Report 28 Sep 2011 13:55

Jax, this is very interesting. Sadly, I can't view these trees as I don't have a subscription and they don't appear for some reason on a library subscription.

You say the oldest child was born 1869 - is that a child of Charles and Ann Broughton? I have their last child being Albert Broughton, born 1865 in Yorkshire. I also don't currently have Charles and Ann Broughton having a son named Charles H. Broughton. They had one born son Charles (1859-1864). Obviously not the same one.

Also, I have Charles' mother, Susanna, dying in 1869 in England but I could never find her husband, my ancestor's death. Did James die in Canada also? This is fascinating to discover.

Also, you seem to have found James and George in Canada also. They had a sister Ann born 1831 in Frieston, Lincolnshire. Is she mentioned on the tree? Wow, I think I need to make touch with some of my Canadian cousins.

Peter

Peter Report 28 Sep 2011 13:58

Also, what is interesting is that Charles' sister (my ancestor) married her husband in 1863 and her brother-in-law emmigrated to Canada in about 1874. They settled ininitally in Mitchell, Ontario, Canada, before moving to Stratford, Ontario.

Peter

Peter Report 28 Sep 2011 14:18

Spanner in the works!

Taken from an internet website - Charles Broughton's father is listed as John on a marriage to Ann Richardson. So, I have the wrong marriage!

Better get looking again!

1851 02-Jan Broughton Charles John Richardson Ann Thomas Skirbeck St Nicholas
1851 02-Jan Broughton Charles John Richardson Ann Thomas Skirbeck St Nicholas

jax

jax Report 28 Sep 2011 16:30

I would think all these children belong to Charles and Lucy...No mention of an Ann

You maybe able to see the trees for free using this site, whether they have it correct or not I could'nt tell you

http://www.mundia.com/gb/

James the father went to Canada but as I said his wife stayed behind...This is the comment about his death in 1881

Age at death from tombstone, death certificate, as 80 years, 3 months, 5 days. Christening date (listed as birth date) from Bishop's Transcripts and Parish Records. Place of birth, approximate age from 1851, 1861 census for Freiston. Wife never came to Canada. Referred to as "Edwin" in Lou Broughton's notes. (Clint Broughton) Also referred to as "Edwin" by Wilfred Broughton. Headstone inscription: In Memory of / James Broughton Sen / Who Died / Mar 1 1881 / Aged 80 years, 3 mos. 5 days / A native of Freiston Lincolnshire England / A faithful friend, a husband dear / A tender parent lieth here / Great is the loss we here sustain / But hope in heaven to meet again

Peter

Peter Report 28 Sep 2011 18:37

Just thought - if Charles' marriage is incorrect, and he didn't marry Anne Richardson, then maybe I have been looking at the wrong extended family!

But then, why is there a Charles Broughton, born c. 1827 in Frieston, Lincolnshire, living close to Middlesbrough where his youngest sister was living. Unless, he is perhaps a cousin? But is that too big a coincidence? Or have I just made a big mistake?

Peter

Peter Report 28 Sep 2011 18:50

YES!

I have confused a cousin and brother! Both with the same name, born in the same village a few years difference.

James BROUGHTON (1802-1880) had a brother JOHN BROUGHTON born in 1805:

CHARLES BROUGHTON Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
02 JAN 1831 Freiston, Lincoln, England
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: JOHN BROUGHTON Family
Mother: MARY WILLY

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C028391 1785 - 1838 0432491 Film 6907611 Film
Sheet: 00

This makes sense now! Still doesn't explain why I can't find death of Charles Broughton born in 1831.

dianemartin

dianemartin Report 23 Jul 2014 22:14

hi..i dont know if i can help but my family is the broughtons all in the lincolnshire area going back to the 1700s

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Jul 2014 10:04

you keep digging up old threads