Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Peter Hopwood born Stockport UK

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 19 Jan 2010 03:58

Peter Hopwood is listed in 1841 census as 35 years living in Walton Village in a household with Mary Hopwood, Joseph Hopwood, Sarah Hopwood, Thomas Hopwood, Jane Hopwood and Alice Hopwood. I would like to find the parents of Peter Hopwood, date of birth, any details of his marriage. He is the father of Joseph and Sarah and on Joseph's death certif his mother is listed as Mary Turner. Joseph was transported to Tasmania and was given ticket of leave. We have the family history for Joseph and his descendants in Australia. Any information re Peter or the other Hopwoods listed in the census would be greatly appreciated. Barbara Hopwood, Adelaide, Australia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jan 2010 05:37

For reference purposes, and to help us understand the family

is this your Peter in the 1841??

If so please note that it is NOT actually Walton Village, but Walton le Dale, Preston.

I agree the street address says Walton Village, but that is actually no use in finding the entry!

1841 Census

Name: Peter Hopwood
Estimated birth year: abt 1806
Where born: Lancashire, England

Civil parish: Blackburn
Hundred: Blackburn (Lower Division)
County/Island: Lancashire

Registration district: Preston
Sub-registration district: Walton le Dale

Thomas Hopwood 25 Hatter
Jane Hopwood 25
Alice Hopwood 2
Peter Hopwood 35 Journeyman Hatter
Mary Hopwood 30
Joseph Hopwood 15 Hatter Apprentice
Sarah Hopwood 14 Cotton Weaver

You should also note that the ages of people over the age of 15 were usually (but not always) rounded down to the nearest 5, thus they can be upto 4 years older than is apparent.

That this has been done is usually indicated when the age is a round number, 20, 25, 50 etc

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jan 2010 07:19

strange

I cannot find any members of the family after 1841.

I wonder if they changed their name after Jospeh was transported??

sylvia

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 19 Jan 2010 09:04

another thing to note Thomas is a hatter, judging from the hatters in my family he wont have lived very long due to the chemicals used in hat making. Hence the old saying "as mad as a hatter"

David

David Report 19 Jan 2010 09:36

May be a coincidence, but there is a Peter c1806 living in Stockport, Cheshire and he was a Hatter.

Name: Peter Hopwood
Estimated birth year: abt 1806
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Ann
Where born: Stockport, Cheshire, England

Civil parish: Stockport
Ecclesiastical parish: St Thomas
Town: Stockport
County/Island: Cheshire

Registration district: Stockport
Sub-registration district: Stockport
ED, institution, or vessel: 3h
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 130
Household Members:
Name Age

Peter Hopwood 45
Ann Hopwood 40
Samuel Hopwood 19
William Hopwood 17
Henry Hopwood 15
John Hopwood 13
Thomas Hopwood 10

freeBMD does have a marriage of a Peter Hopwood in 1844 in Stockport. Maybe his wife Mary died and daughter Sarah married so he remarried. Longshot I know..

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 19 Jan 2010 11:09

Possible ?? From IGI...

PETER HOPWOOD Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 06 JAN 1803

Christening: 27 FEB 1803 St Mary, Stockport, Cheshire, England

Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: WILLIAM HOPWOOD Family
Mother: MARTHA

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

SharoninGreece

SharoninGreece Report 19 Jan 2010 11:20

There are two deaths for a Mary Hopwood in 1843 in Stockport.

Sharon

SharoninGreece

SharoninGreece Report 19 Jan 2010 11:21

And also one in 1842.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 19 Jan 2010 13:30

there were one or two Hopwood hatters around

found this one on lan-opc

Baptisms: 17 Jul 1836 St Lawrence, Denton, Lancashire, England
William Hopwood - Child of Thomas Hopwood & Mary
Born: 22 Apr 1836
Abode: Denton
Baptised by: W. P. Greswell
Register: Baptism 1829 - 1837, Page 173, Entry 1381
Source: LDS Film 559166

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 19 Jan 2010 13:40

the ages of those Mary Hopwood deaths are from cheshirebmd

1842 Mary age 38

1843 Mary age 0 and Mary age 54

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 19 Jan 2010 13:50

could the family have changed their name to Turner or was that Mary's maiden name

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Jan 2010 20:22

Sylvia asked me to take a peek when she first looked at the thread.

There are only two Hopwood marriages in Preston reg dist to 1865, an Ann and a Robert, so no children's marriages or parents' remarriages there, it seems.

For deaths for relevant names, there are a Mary and a Sarah Ann, both in 1854. Ages aren't shown in the index until the mid-1860s.

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

I'm stumped too. No chance they joined Joseph in Tasmania I suppose? When did he leave England?

Searching in the IGI for children's births, there is this group baptism with parents Thomas and Jane:

Birth/Christening, 1845 - 1865, British Isles
Father: Thomas Hopwood, Mother: Jane
all are in batch C073543
1. WILLIAM HOPWOOD - Christening: 24 AUG 1851 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England
2. SARAH HOPWOOD - Christening: 24 AUG 1851 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England
3. SAMUEL HOPWOOD - Christening: 24 AUG 1851 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England

plus this one in batch C073541
JAMES HOPWOOD - Christening: 08 SEP 1844 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England

But no sign of those children in 1851 either!

No luck finding baptisms of children of Peter and Mary.

Headscratch!

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 19 Jan 2010 20:26

the death ages are shown for ALL years on lancs bmd - can be v useful

Mary in Preston age 67
Mary in Heywood age 73
Sarah Ann age 40

plus a Sarah Ellen age 0 in Burnley

Lancsann

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 19 Jan 2010 20:49

when Barbara says on Joseph's death cert in Australia his mother was listed as Mary Turner, does that mean that was her current name or her maiden name. Not familiar with what is on Australian certs.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Jan 2010 21:59

Thanks for the details on the deaths Ann! (I'm so unlucky, by the time I get back to 1800 I have ancestors in a dozen counties ... Lancashire not being one of them.)

Australian death certificates are a marvel - they give parents' names (of course, where the informant knew) and the mother's birth surname is what that name is, for one thing. I know for NSW at least it also lists the names of children. I believe the old ones sometimes also say where the deceased originated and how long in Australia.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 19 Jan 2010 22:15

some areas of Yorks & staffs bmd sites have death age Cheshire has all death ages. Don't know about any of the other bmd sites but there may be others which do

for ref lancashirebmd.org.uk

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Jan 2010 00:16

All I could think of was that they had changed their surname, but like you guys, I couldn't find any fmaily that matched.

sylvia

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 20 Jan 2010 01:51

Hi Barbara..

In the title of your thread you say that Peter Hopwood was born in Stockport so may I suggest that you contact the Stockport Heritage Library...they hold all sources of information including parish records etc etc and the staff are most helpful.

The email address is..

[email protected]

Linda in the Midlands....if this is of interest to you and if you do not already know ( apologies if you do)...Stockport has the only museum in the UK dedicated to the hatting industry. The website address is

http://www.hatworks.org.uk/

and well worth a visit if you are ever in the area.

Linda

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Jan 2010 04:51

Barbara I'm going to beat you to it and copy your PM here because I have found a little something.

Thank you for your interest and response,

Joseph was sentenced in Manchester in 1845 and arrived in Norfolk Island/Tasmania 1846/47. You'll be pleased to know he worked his time as a timber cutter and was given a ticket of leave. He and his wife Margaret had two children, John Richard and Joseph William and my husband is descended from Joseph William. We have the family history from the time Joseph arrived in Tasmania and would be very happy to share it with any descendants from Peter's family.

Thomas Hopwood and Jane and their daughter Alice were listed as living in the same house in Walton-le-Dale in 1841. I found a birth for Alice in 1839 at Manchester Cathedral. Maybe the children you found James 1844, and three baptised all on the same day? 24 Aug 1851 are children of Thomas and Jane. I wish I knew what relationship they are to Peter, Mary, Joseph and Sarah???

I am also interested in finding Peter's parents. I did find the William and Martha that David mentions in his message but there is no other information which would give me a link to our Peter.

Many thanks for your help

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Jan 2010 04:53

Did you have this?

Name: Thomas Hopwood
Estimated birth year: abt 1812
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Jane
Where born: Denton, Lancashire, England

Name: Jane Hopwood
Estimated birth year: abt 1811
Relation: Wife