Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Armstrong

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ceri

Ceri Report 13 Jul 2006 16:20

hello, my name is Ceri armstrong, i am hoping for some help finding any relations of my deceased father Richard(dick) Armstrong. unfortunatly i dont know alot abought him but what i do know i will share with you. My dad was born sometime in the 50s his parents names are mary and george. George armstrong was an umpire for tennis. they lived in polegate near eastbourne. My dad also had a brother called Gerald armstrong (gerry), he is now an umpire for tennis but we lost contact when my mother split with my father, which was round about 1976. My father was a seaman in the navy and was based at gosport in portsmouth at the time of my birth(1975)my mothers name is Jean, unfortunatly we are estranged making it difficult to ask her . she remarried and is now Jean wilkinson , they also had my sister melanie born in 1972. I have been told that my dad remarried and that i have some brothers or sisters out there somewhere, my dad died young not sure of his exact age but i was only about 13 when i was told he had died..i think of a heart attack..around1988..i had not seen him since i was very small. He apparently lived in crawley and worked at gatwick airport before his death and was buried in hounslow crematorium. i hope this jogs someones memory i desperatly want to find my younger brothers or sister whatever they may be...one other thing i have no idea if its really true but apparently he had a pair of eyes tattooed on his bum....please contact me. ceri xxxxx

Derek

Derek Report 25 Nov 2016 12:15

Hi Ceri

(I may have sent this one twice!)

I'm replying to the message you posted asking for information about your father, Richard Armstrong. It's very sad that you didn't get to know him or even know when he was born, so I hope this message will help in some way.

Although I didn't know him as an adult, we both went to Stafford Junior School in Eastbourne. We knew him as 'Rich' in those days, He was a very popular blond boy who usually had a big grin on his face. Your dad was a very talented goalkeeper too, for as well as starring in our school football team, he was good enough to represent Eastbourne junior schools against some very stiff competition.

He would have been born around Springtime in 1950, like me. I remember his father George too (your grandfather), for as well as being a qualified tennis umpire (like Gerry) he was also a qualified football referee and occasionally 'reffed' our school matches.

Strangely enough, I believe that, a few years ago I bought the house that the Armstrong family lived in during 'Rich's' school years - a two-bedroom Victorian terraced house in Clarence Road, Eastbourne - though I moved on several years ago now. No doubt his parents George and Mary, moved to Polegate in their later years as the little town is a poplular place for retirement.

I think that your father attended Cavendish Secondary School in Eastbourne after he left Stafford Juniors, which was when I lost touch with him. I do remember someone telling me that he eventually joined the Royal Navy and am very sad to hear that he passed away some time ago.

However, you might be interested to know that I have a photo of that school football team, featuring your father, which I'd be most happy to email to you if you wish ! My email address is: [email protected]

Very best wishes

Derek (Dez) Eldridge

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Nov 2016 12:40

Derek
Ceri only posted twice on genes and as her enquiry is 10 plus years old it highly unlikely she is a member now.

If you want to try and make contact you can click on her name and send a message.
If her email is still the same she will receive it and can then reply